Topic: Add check payments

regardless of US, handling checks in our country is very important subject. In fact every software in accounting field must have this option. Regrettably we suffer a lot due to lack of these feature in FA.

For handling "Checks" in FA we made 2 accounts, "Received Checks" & "Paid Checked". Consider if we receive a check today but the date of cash is for 2 month later we enter it in a "Received Checks" account and hold the cash date in Excel and the time this check converted to cash we transfer that amount from "Received Checks" to "Cash Accounts" or what ever accounts belongs to.

In my opinion if legend FA developers add a filed in payment terms then the time we choose the payment terms in Direct Invoice our form add some extra fields to mentioned page and this will solve most of check problems.

Sorry about the screen shots if I made it badly, this is the only things I can do it for FA.

Thanks to all FA contributors smile
Asghar

Re: Add check payments

Add your "Check" payment terms in Setup => Payment Terms menu.

Your extra fields:
1. Check Owner Name (anyone other than the customer can be entered in the memo / comments field)
2. Pay to the Order of (anyone other than the Company whose Accounts is being maintained in FA can be similarly entered in the memo / comments field)
3. Check Number can be entered using the comments field and better still using the Non Field DB Data concept discussed in the Wiki.

Well 1 most important things missing here:

I can't get a report from date to date: for example getting a report of those checks will going to be cash from date X to date Y.

Asghar

4 (edited by apmuthu 02/09/2015 12:09:40 pm)

Then you would definitely need to implement the Non Field DB Data and write your own function for filtering out the checks....

Are you referring to various customer checks your receive or your checks to various suppliers you pay out? If it is the altter, then just make the check number with some start string as the reference for supplier payments and it will auto increment.

apmuthu, for most countries as far as I know check issue is very important. Beside that FA is very fantastic web based app for accounting but lack of this section disallow most people to use this.

We worked a lot with our teams, hence we found another solution to simplify it. Here is the solution we found:

1. Adding another "date" input in "Payment Entry(ies)", also as you mentioned we can add, other check information in "Memo" section.

2. Now, for checks look up solution, if we add 2 "Date input text" in "Journal Inquiry" with start and end date this will solve everything because there is a nice "Memo" search option that helps a lot to find check number or anything else.

Please give us a applicable solution smile

Asghar

I wish joe also involve to this matter too...I think Non Field DB Data can't applicable for this matter.

Asghar

If all you want is to search the memo field, then you have to strictly follow some text syntax in entering the cheque details that can be searched using a custom report with a text search query to feed it. The dates - from and to - can be entered in the report form request data.

Dear apmuthu, the only thing I want is to have:

1. Adding another "date" input in "Payment Entry(ies)".
2. For checks look up solution, to add 2 "Date input text" in "Journal Inquiry" with start and end date; this will solve everything because we can easily check what checks should be cashed at specific period of time or when is the checks due dates.

Asghar

Do you want to try Bank Account Reconciliation?

apmuthu, did I clearly express what I want? at first stage it is very important to me that I indicate FA check section shortage clearly.

How do you put "Bank Account Reconciliation" in check section?

Asghar

11 (edited by apmuthu 04/12/2015 10:12:21 am)

Post the cheque payment entries as on the date of the cheque / date of proposed submission to bank but make the entry now itself on getting the physical cheque. If any reference to the current date is needed, it may be put into the memo field for the transaction.

The actual date of encashment taken from the banker's statement can be entered into the bank reconciliation page at Banking and General Ledger => Reconcile Bank Account.

Well, there is a big difference here.
Shape of business trades here is vary from US; suppose a business that takes 100's (or more than) of checks from consumers or businesses within a month. Then that business pass away the taken checks to other businesses, like suppliers or etc…, or business issue their own checks to others. Meanwhile here businesses due to backs late encashment or instead of issuing their own company checks pass away taken checks to others, and because of that often put them in banks.

In “Reconcile Bank Account” you can just checkmark and compare with bank statement and this do not alter or change GL. Any change should made at other part like GL or payment entry manually.
Now if that business want to look up for checks they have taken from date to date for encashment or giving to other suppliers what have to do?
For your consideration our type of accounting is accrual and not cash accounting and because of that most of bank transaction based on check.

Asghar

13 (edited by apmuthu 04/13/2015 07:04:04 am)

Wow! So cheques in your country's accounting are treated as multiple time transferable negotiable instruments much like cash!

Sorry, FA does not cater to this, though you may put in whatever you want in the memo field and hope the cheques you issue of take in are their final resting place - you will not be informed by your vendors that they have passed on your cheque to their vendors.... and you in your turn will not inform your customers that their cheques have been passed on to your vendors!

Furthermore, your bank statement may not have much written in it's description field for you to reconcile multiple cheques with same value and date....

Endorsing someone's cheques to another is generally infrequent and is accomodated using Journal transfer entries but in your case it seems to be the order of the day!

Good Luck.

Exactly, you well understood my meant apmuthu, thank you.

I and our team worked on FA very much, we really believed in we are a part of FA and can't give up.

We found a normal solution for check issues. We just need to know the encashment period while looking at "Bank Account Inquiry". For this we need to:

1. Add a date input in customers and suppliers "Payment Entry" for keeping check encashment date.
2. Altering “Bank Account Inquiry” section. Add a Combo box to let users to choose wither they are looking entry date or encashment date and have another encashment field in data grid.

Apmuthu, in your experience how much time does it takes to alter FA to feet in this shape?

Asghar

15 (edited by apmuthu 04/14/2015 11:22:52 am)

What you ask will break the normal workflow of FA. Better make a module (extension) with a new table that keeps track of these fields but you will have to take into account what happens when such entries are edited. There is another thread with info on editing Journal Vouchers and their consequences for the database tables and next_reference field.

There is huge scope for misuse of FA for money laundering and embezzlement besides hiding transactions amidst legitimate ones making forensics that much more difficult if what you say is allowed since there is no info on the final resting place for the monies to all the intermediate parties concerned.

apmuthu, any recommendation on how to start this module?

With the budget and knowledge we have it took's a lot for us to create this but we will do that. Your further guideline we boost us more, such as which tables to work with and so on.

Asghar

Study the various extensions available and roll your own. The extensions files are available in my unofficial github repo.

what if we modify the payment entry with a field called cheque number?

so we will have Date, Reference, pay to, to the order of, then cheque number.

What do you guys think?

The form field needs to be saved into a new field or be part of the memo field and parsed accordingly as well to fill in the cheque and memo form fields accordingly.