Topic: Can't install or Update 2.1 RC

I am excited to try the new 2.1 RC version after having used the 2.1 Beta versions with a lot of success so far.

However, I can't get the upgrade working from 2.1 beta to 2.1 RC.

I have also tried installing it from scratch and both the update and new install are giving me the following error:

500 Server Error
A misconfiguration on the server caused a hiccup. Check the server logs, fix the problem, then try again.

Any ideas on how I can get the RC version up and running?

I haven't ever had a problem installing previous versions of Front Accounting and am doing everything the same as before.

Thanks.

Re: Can't install or Update 2.1 RC

I don't know what the problem can be here. This is  www server configuration error, not FrontAccounting issue. One thing which this error can be related to is new .httpaccess file in root directory of FA, which sets some php configuration directly via web server. Try to play with this file a little starting form removing it outside the FA tree.

Janusz

Thanks for your reply.

I can't find the .httpaccess file you are referring to.
I am wondering if this file was not included in my download.
I have tried both the zip and the gzip tar downloads and get the same result with both the RC Versions.

Please let me know where this .httpaccess file is at or if I am missing something.
Thanks,
Dave

I mean .htaccess file - it is bundled in both zip and tar.gz packages and is placed in FA root directory.
Keep in mind that under Linux (if this is your OS) this is hidden file unless you use
ls -A to list directory.
Janusz

Thanks,

I tried deleting the .htaccess file and everything seems to be working now.

I am a little worried about having to delete that file to get things working on my server.

What exactly does this file do for the system? 
Are there any problems that I will experience without that file?

Anyways, I couldn't get Front Accounting to work with my Linux server when that file was in there and it seems to work without that file, so any explanation or answers as to why this is, would be great.

Thanks,
Dave

I am happy that all works now for you, although I would be much more happy if I  know the exact source of the problems.
The .htaccess file has now two directives which set php parameters to secure values: magic_quotes_gpc=off and register_globals=off. This can also (and should) be set in php.ini file. Without them any application is potentially vulnerable to RFI/LFI attacks. If you run your server in trusted closed environment it does not matter. Otherwise it is a must.

Could you list me your exact configuration where the problem arose (operating system version, www server type/version etc)? I feel this is some issue in your local setup, but anyway this should never end with blocking FA use at all.

Janusz

I have found the reason, I think. This error is raised also when php is running in CGI mode (not  APache module). So you can delete .htaccess file and eventually add respective lines to php.ini file:

magic_quotes_gpc = 0
register_globals = 0

Thanks for pointing out this problem.

Janusz

WOW, you guys are awesome and keeping on top of the forums.
Every question or comment I have posted, has been immediately replied to.
Thanks so much for all the time and effort you are putting into this project.

So far everything has been working good ever since I deleted the .htaccess file

I set my php.ini  settings to off for both register_globals and magic_quotes.

So far so good.  Thanks for your help.

Dave

Hi everyone,

I experienced the similar case, facing a blank page after new installation of FA version 2.1.1; but this case is in Windows XP Environment with XAMPP 1.6.6a installed. I removed .htaccess file, but still facing blank pages.

However I can install FA 2.0.6 successfully.
The only things, I can not get some fixes in release 2.1. sad

I don't know. Set go_debug=1 in config.php. Look into your apache log file, maybe you will find some reason here? The only nonstandard change in FA 2.1 source was adding .htaccess file., which NB was fixed in release 2.1.1.
Janusz

Hi bruzergear
While it's OK to remove your .htaccess file, it would be better for you to use it well: it provides lot's of features for securing your site. At the very least, you should password protect your frontaccounting directory if you're on a public web server.

Here's a little guide that might help.
http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess.shtml