Topic: BACKUP FILE

Hi there,

I would like to exclude a few tables such as '0_users' or `0_security_roles` when running the backup.  I attempt to make changes to admin/db/maintenance_db.inc to exclude these tables, but due to my limited knowledge in php, I was unable to put this function "--ignore-table" at the right place.

Could someone provide some guidance?

Thanks.

KH

2 (edited by apmuthu 03/07/2015 12:57:33 pm)

Re: BACKUP FILE

Lines 506 to 513 of admin/db/maintenance_db.inc:

$res = db_query("show table status");
    $all_tables = array();
    while($row = db_fetch($res))
    {
        if (($conn["tbpref"] == "" && !preg_match('/[0-9]+_/', $row['Name'])) ||
            ($conn["tbpref"] != "" && strpos($row['Name'], $conn["tbpref"]) === 0))
            $all_tables[] = $row;
    }

gets the list of tables to be exported into the array variable $all_tables. Now all you need to do is to remove the table names you do not want from them.

To do so, after the above code insert the following:

if (($key = array_search($conn["tbpref"].'users', $all_tables)) !== false) {
    unset($all_tables[$key]);
}
if (($key = array_search($conn["tbpref"].'security_roles', $all_tables)) !== false) {
}

3 (edited by apmuthu 03/08/2015 07:14:48 am)

A more generic version of the insert code above is:

$skip_tables_list = Array('users', 'security_roles', 'sql_trail');

foreach ($skip_tables_list as $skip_table_name) {
    if (($key = array_search($conn["tbpref"].$skip_table_name, $all_tables)) !== false) {
    }
}

This information has now been wiki-ed.

Dear APMuthu,

Thanks very much for the codes and Wiki'ed it.

I have added the codes provided and test run it, the few excluded tables still exist in the backup .sql file (please see the appended codes).  I inspected the few variables and arrays and I couldn't spot the issue.  I need your advise on this....

Another potential issue which is related to the restoration of this modified backup file.  As stated in the Wiki, the restore functions will first drop all the tables before being recreated and populated.

Wiki: "On restoration, these tables will first be dropped before being recreated and populated."

If the tables are excluded, unless the backup .sql totally ignore these excluded tables and they are not dropped during restoration.  (I hope this is the case).  Otherwise the Restoration of these excluded tables will be "emptied" and it will make the FA not functioning as the data are missing (for example, the users will not be able to login since the user table is empty).   

I'm sorry I could not contribute to the coding but I could only share my thoughts with regards to this issue.  Your help is very much appreciated.

Thank you!

KH

=====================
    $all_tables = array();
    {
            $all_tables[] = $row;
    }

//Skip tables during backup:  The codes below skipped the few tables that may cause security issues such as '0_users', 'seicurity_roles' etc.

foreach ($skip_tables_list as $skip_table_name) {
        if (($key = array_search($conn["tbpref"].$skip_table_name, $all_tables)) !== false) {
        }
    }
// End Skip Files during backup   

// get table structures
    foreach ($all_tables as $table)
    {
        $res1 = db_query("SHOW CREATE TABLE `" . $table['Name'] . "`");
        $tmp = db_fetch($res1);
        $table_sql[$table['Name']] = $tmp["Create Table"];
    }
===========================

5 (edited by apmuthu 03/09/2015 04:30:13 pm)

My previous solutions do not work because the $all_tables is an array of arrays.

Lines 505 to 513 in admin/db/maintenance_db.inc:

// get auto_increment values and names of all tables
    $all_tables = array();
    {
            $all_tables[] = $row;
    }

is now replaced with:

// get auto_increment values and names of all tables
    $all_tables = array();
    for ($i = 0; $i < count($skip_tables_list); $i++) {
        $skip_tables_list[$i] = $conn["tbpref"].$skip_tables_list[$i];
    }
    {
            if (!(in_array($row['Name'], $skip_tables_list, true)))
                $all_tables[] = $row;
    }

The variable $skip_tables_list is populated with the names of tables to be skipped (without table prefixes).

The tables missing tables in the backup remain untouched in the database when restored.

The wiki has been updated and the code has been tested.

Post's attachments

FA_Skip_Tables_In_Backup.zip 42.9 kb, 2 downloads since 2015-03-09 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

6 (edited by tm 03/10/2015 03:14:21 pm)

What you are describing is not a backup. It is, at best, an "undo" feature for your users. And a dangerous one, if you have more than one user.

There is no way to restore the data on a fresh system using these "backups" because, just like incremental backups, they require a "base" backup to start from.

Whatever it is you are trying to achieve, this is not the way to do it.

7 (edited by khkoh 03/10/2015 02:55:47 am)

Dear APMuthu,

I will be testing the scripts and I will let you know how it goes...  Many thanks.

Dear TM,

Thanks for responding to this post.

I noted a major security issue if we have the tables 0_users, 0_security_roles etc included in the backup sql files. The 0_users encrypted password can be replaced (by users who is familiar with the encryption) and the roles can be changed. If the data base is then restored, the admin/users' passwords can be compromised.  I have tested it and I found that this is a real vulnerability.

To the minimum, I feel that there should be 2 types of backups provided.  1. "Full back up" including all the tables and only to be done by the authorized personnel such as system administrator or the head of the company.  Ordinary users should not be allowed to perform this backup.  2.  "User data backup" for "undo" purpose and this should exclude the tables that contain the login, passwords and access control.

Restoring a backup inserts data into the database. It's not a major security issue. It's how things work.

I guess you could prevent your users from uploading/downloading backups, but that won't stop them from overwriting each other’s data. That's why you don't want to give users access to the backups on a multi-user system in the first place.

9 (edited by apmuthu 03/10/2015 06:42:59 am)

@tm: You are right about restriction of backups to responsible and authorised users only. The solution I provided would be useful if some critical tables are just read only views made from tables outside of FA.

@khkoh: Anyone who takes a restricted backup using the script here can always inject the necessary sqls with different users, security_roles, etc., and upload and restore them. It can also be able to exclude certain prefixed tables that may not be part of native FA at all and managed elsewhere. If prefixes are used, non prefixed tables get excluded in the original code itself.

In preparing this code hack, understanding and documenting the backup process has been achieved.

Restoring from a completely new hacked backup file with only insert statements can be a nice way of importing records into FA and in some instances provide a base for a new CoA!

Hi TM,

I agree with you too.  Database backup file should not be tempered and to prevent that, prevent download and view is one of the ways I could do for now.

Hi APMuthu,

The codes work fine.   Thank you so much.