Topic: Problem setting up/changing Fiscal years

We have financial years from 01 March to 28 Feb following year.. eg 01-03-2008 to 28-02-2008. I cannot change them to this or add them either

Errors

Invalid END date in fiscal year.

and the current year  the dates cannot be edited

J

Re: Problem setting up/changing Fiscal years

Yes, we have put in a lot of safety, but there is an easy way of doing this:
Create a dummy year outside the existing fiscal years. F.i. 01 March 2009 to 28 Feb 2010.
In Company Setup, set this new year to be the current year.
Go back to fiscal years again, and delete the year 01-01-2008 to 31-12-2008 (you don't delete anything else, this is only a mark holder for various years and reports). Now Create the year 01 Mar 2008 to 28 Feb 2009.
Go back to Company Setup again, and select this year to be the current year.
Just be sure you have fiscal years for all your transactions. Also remember that you can have shorter or longer fiscal years than the calendar year.

/Joe

hi joe,

i can close the year 2008 in the demo but i cant delete them. i marked the 2009 as active fiscal year.
when i print the chart of accounts, it shows that the fiscal year is still 2008 and marked as closed. is this fine?

You cannot delete fiscal year if there are GL transaction created using this period.
Currently Chart of Accounts display current balances of accounts, not related to fiscal year set in company preferences nor the active year displayed in header. Here you are right - It is at least misleading, so should be twice checked and somewhat fixed.
Janusz