Topic: I need to re-arrange the Account Groups/Classes. How do I do that?

As default the groups are numbered from 1-12. And Classes default from 1-4

Remember that the Balance Sheet/Profit and Loss Statement and Monthly Break down are ordered by class/group/account

Let us start with the groups. For now let the old groups be there. Enter your groups and start f.i. with number 20. Enter all the groups you want in right order. Make a gap between them of 5. Then you can easily insert new groups if you need one.
Now go into the GL Accounts and enter your new groups on each account one by one.
It is now time for you to delete the old groups 1-12.

If you want to rearrange the classes. Start by entering the classes at number 10 and again make a gap of 5.
Go back to the GL Account Groups and select your new classes on each group.
And finally you can delete your old classes.

That's it.

2 (edited by sajjad 12/08/2009 09:15:35 am)

Re: I need to re-arrange the Account Groups/Classes. How do I do that?

I dont understand the purpose of Accounts Group and Accounts Class Differently. Please explain.

I guess you already have observed that an account belongs to a group (type). A group (type) belongs to a class.
Depending on how your country wants to present the balance sheets and profit and loss statements, you can build these rules with help of groups (types) and classes.

When a balance sheet is printed it is sorted on 1. class, 2. group(type) and last the account itself.
As you see the accounts are not necessarily printed out in account number order.
First the Title for the first Class is printed, Then the Title for the first Group is printed. Then the accounts within this group are printed. When a new group is coming, the totals within the old group group is printed before the title of the next group is printed.
The same thing happens when a new class is coming. The total for the old class is printed and the title of the new class is printed and so on.
By arranging the groups you can present your balance sheets and PL statements your own way.
By also using sub-groups (a group belonging to another group) you can create even more sophisticated aggregators. But this is more acvanced.

This sticky topic explains how you make a rearrangement of new groups and classes, should you need more space between the group/class id's.

/Joe

@Joe and others:

I finally figured out the relationship of classes, groups, and accounts, and successfully copied en-AU-0000.sql to en-AU-0000-HHP.sql and made my changes to the classes ...

('1', 'Assets', '1', '0');
('2', 'Liabilities', '2', '0');
('3', 'Equity', '3', '0');
('4', 'Revenue', '4', '0');
('5', 'Expenses', '5', '0');

... and to the groups ...

('1', 'CURRENT ASSETS', '1', '', '0');
('2', 'CAPITAL ASSETS', '1', '', '0');
('3', 'CURRENT LIABILITIES', '2', '', '0');
('4', 'TERM LIABILITIES', '2', '', '0');
('5', 'EQUITY', '3', '', '0');
('6', 'SALES INCOME', '4', '', '0');
('7', 'OTHER INCOME', '4', '', '0');
('8', 'COST OF GOODS SOLD', '5', '', '0');
('9', 'PAYROLL EXPENSES', '5', '', '0');
('10', 'GENERAL & ADMINISTRATIVE EXPENSES', '5', '', '0');
('11', 'VEHICLE EXPENSES', '5', '', '0');

I also edited the 0_chart_master SQL lines to add, delete and modify the accounts I wanted.

Following your instructions, I put en-AU-0000-HHP.sql in the backup/ folder for my Sandpit company, and successfully restored it, overwriting the existing tables.

But, when I print out a CoA, some groups -- and their correct accounts -- are printed out of order:

1    Assets
        1    CURRENT ASSETS
        2    CAPITAL ASSETS // STOCK ON HAND group removed
2    Liabilities
        3    CURRENT LIABILITIES
        4    TERM LIABILITIES
3    Equity
        5    EQUITY
4    Revenue
        6    SALES INCOME
        7    OTHER INCOME
5    Expenses // This is where the fun starts
        10    GENERAL & ADMIN EXPENSES
        11    VEHICLE EXPENSES
        8    COST OF GOODS SOLD
        9    PAYROLL EXPENSES

No amount of staring at the SQL code in the .sql file has enable me to find why this is occurring. The account numbers increase through groups 8 to 11.

Any ideas why this behaviour is occuring? (I can send the file if you want.)

Regards,
Hedley

The "numbers" you are seeing are really strings, and they are correctly sorted - but alphabetically. Just pad the numbers with leading zeroes and you'll get what you were expecting.

@tm
I tried 'renumbering' 0_chart_types from 01 to 11 but that just produced a CoA report with all the classes at the top, no accounts, except for type expenses, and then only type 10 (refer to my post of Yesterday 06:17:39 pm above). Just reverted to no leading zeroes and will put up with ordering anomaly. Why wasn't a numerical type specified for the field, rather than alphanumeric?

Did you also change these account types in the Accounts?

/Joe

Blush. Apparently if you Force Exit from Windows 7, all the unsaved edits in your text editor are lost. Who'd a thought?

Hedley