Topic: Failure CURL

http://www.ecb.int/stats/eurofxref/eurofxref-daily.xml

Was down today and as a result the system wasn't able to extract the ECB rate and froze alot of ajax requests when a ecb is to be extracted but couldn't. Maybe there should be a check in place to see if the curl failed and to notify immediately if it did or even better have an alternative list of exchange sites to retrieve rates if the primary site fails, in the case of where the accounting system is hosted in a local network and depend on the internet to be up at all times to retrieve rate.

Since is the only time the system has to access outside information, there should be a check here in place in my opinion. It took me awhile to figure out why its freezing all the time when I choose a foreign account from the list of customers, and this is why since it didn't have the rate for the day and needed it.

Re: Failure CURL

I know the issue, and get_ecb_rate function has been slightly changed in version 2.1 to have shorter delay when ecb site is unreachable. I have not found better solution than setting shorter curl timeout. Also I have found that sometimes curl cannot find the page because of some issue in its name resolving approach, so the second try is done using  ECB server IP. Maximum delay time in FA related to first exrate retrieval is currently 6s and warning is displayed when ECB is not reachable.
AFAIK  ECB has no secondary page which could be used when main exchange rates page is down.

Janusz