Topic: Transfer inventory items to costs

I run a small ICT business. For customer installations I do the complete job, from network setup, Windows installations to running cables and installing cable ducts. Items like computers are obviously inventory items. Those I order and receive into the inventory. Standard procedure.

Now I also have items like screws, tie-wraps, labels and miscellaneous items which I use at the customer installation, but for which I don't want to keep the inventory in the administration. So once in a while I purchase a box of screws and put this immediately as costs: "Small items and materials".

If I don't express myself well, it is like purchasing printer paper. Those are charged to "Office expense". And I don't charge each sheet of paper to a customer or to a project.

Now there are 2 scenario's:

1. I go to the hardware store and purchase a box of screws. I pay with debit or credit card. When I enter this in FA, I use a Quick Entry. Debit "Small items and materials" and credit the bank account.

I think this is the correct way, right?
Now the other scenario:

2. I order at Amazon a computer and a box of screws. What I would like to do it receive the computer into inventory, but not the screws. The screws should go to the cost account. But that seems not to be possible. Right, or is there a workaround?

An alternative is that I receive the screws into inventory, and make a negative inventory adjustment. Unfortunately inventory adjustments are booked to an inventory adjustment account (costs of inventory variations in English I assume). But I cannot book this adjustment to an alternative account. Or can't I? Should I change this setup depending whether I want to make an ordinary adjustment or a transfer to small materials?

I also could create a different stock location, and transfer those items to this location. But how do I eventually book the adjustment of THIS stock to an expense account?

Any suggestions?

jlinkels

Re: Transfer inventory items to costs

jlinkels wrote:

1. I go to the hardware store and purchase a box of screws. I pay with debit or credit card. When I enter this in FA, I use a Quick Entry. Debit "Small items and materials" and credit the bank account.

I think this is the correct way, right?
Now the other scenario:

Yes.

jlinkels wrote:

2. I order at Amazon a computer and a box of screws. What I would like to do it receive the computer into inventory, but not the screws. The screws should go to the cost account. But that seems not to be possible. Right, or is there a workaround?

Yes you can. You can create an "non inventory" item by setting the item type to "Service" when you create the item.
"Non inventory" items doesn't have a concept of stock or quantity but they can be added to an purchase order.
Set the COGS account to your cost account.

jlinkels wrote:

An alternative is that I receive the screws into inventory, and make a negative inventory adjustment. Unfortunately inventory adjustments are booked to an inventory adjustment account (costs of inventory variations in English I assume). But I cannot book this adjustment to an alternative account. Or can't I? Should I change this setup depending whether I want to make an ordinary adjustment or a transfer to small materials?

jlinkels

You could do that by setting the 'inventory adjustment account' to your cost account. However, I would still recommend the "Service" solution.

/Elax

Re: Transfer inventory items to costs

I never thought of creating a service item for this type of consumables. I tried it and it works as expected. It is a good suggestion.

Thank you very much.
jlinkels