Topic: Practical Questions

Hi all,
First of all congrats to Joe and all the team for this wonderful piece of application.
I've been looking for an open ERP system like that for months. Keep it this essential, it's just wonderful.

I'm a newbie here, I completed my first install yesterday and I found myself with some unanswered question.

1st- Is somebody already translating this program in italian? If not, I'll deal with it.

2nd- items import via CSV module: I've installed the module, but I don't get which fields I should include one the CSV file. Can somebody give me the specs? I came across "CSV import exposed" topic, but couldn't find the answer

3rd- INNOdb: I've tried to install the script on a hosting without InnoDB and the Items were still correctly entered. Where is innoDB involved? If I could keep this app. on a shared hosting would be great for accesibility. Which risks am I running into?

4th- Vtiger and Oscommerce: I saw in a topic a sort of roadmap which included oscommerce bridging and maybe vtiger. I work on both of them, it would be great. Was that just a feature request or is there somebody on it? How can I assist?

Thanks in advance to all!

Re: Practical Questions

Thanks for your nice words.
1. To my knowledge, there are no ongoing Italian translating. Please start with 2.1 beta. You can use the empty.po file in /lang/new_ language_template. Just create a folder it_IT like the other lang folders and a subfolder LC_MESSAGES and put your empty.po file here. Rename it to it_IT.po. Use the poEdit program to translate. It is very easy to work with this program.
2. Please read the readme.txt file in the module. It should explain which fields should be included.
3. The INNOdb part of MySql is used for transactions. If you are using multiuser access to your script, then transactions are needed to secure updating of several tables. There are also some performance issues with the INNOdb. So if you run without INNOdb, then do not access the script with more than one user at the time.
4. I hope somebody in the community will answer this question for you. We are concentrating on the core of FA.

Best regards
Joe

Joe, thanks for the answers.
Next week or the other I'll be done with the translation.
As for bridging, I'm not that big coder, I'll maybe look at it but I can't guarantee. Sure thing, I'll spread the word to those communities.

Regards,
Francesco

OK, another question:
some of my clients work on the fashion industry and they require to have items divided per size.
Is there a way to deploy a size chart or the only way is to create a product for each size?

thank you.

In release 2.1 we have kit sets and item alias, but I guess you mean some kind of SKU. No, this is not implemented.

/Joe

Joe I don't get the item alias, what are you referring to?

However please notice that italian translation is on the way at 20%. Just in case anybody else is starting, to avoid double work!

Alias code is an alternative code (e.g. UPC/EAN barcode)  used for item identification. This can be used for item selection during invoice entry.
Janusz

I too am interested in osCommerce interfacing.

I looked at the API document, I was hoping for APIs like add_customer and add_customer_branch, add_order etc

In osCommerce there is heavy use of Classes and the class functions are called from the web pages and the webpages only focused on display.

The class functions provided the API for any caller, making add-on modules
and the like much easier.

From the looks of the directory structure classes are not used here...

that mans when table changes are made each php file that uses that table needs to be updated... hopefully I am wrong...

tom

tom wrote:

that mans when table changes are made each php file that uses that table needs to be updated... hopefully I am wrong...
tom

This is not true.When you have closer look into FA source structure you will find that all respective database functions are placed in related files in respective xxx/includes/db folders.  If db structure changes you always have to change related class, or - in our approach - supporting db functions. FrontAccounting has highly structured and reusable code, but in fact API documentation is not complete, I''m afraid. So, to effectively use FA framework people have to spent some (not especially long) time studying code structure.

Janusz

That is very good to hear.

I will dig into it and see what notes I can come up with