1 (edited by roblaus 02/09/2009 06:45:35 pm)

Topic: Cost Adjustment

I saw with great joy today that in 2.1 a cost update results in a GL entry. In 2.0 I could change it without GL posting with catastrophic results for COGS

[EDIT] My apologies - I just saw that it DOES work in 207. I have just to find out why it didn't work with an old (demo) item.

A suggestion here: I wouldn't call it standard cost because it's weighted average or just cost.

Two questions: how can I change the item that is shown as standard on a blank sales order/direct invoice? I would like to have something like "000 - Enter item here" even though I have to create an item for it. On my 207 I always see the stupid monitor although I created an item with code 000 hoping the system would at least take the first one.

Secondly: Is there a way of showing the item cost somewhere? Item status would be the ideal place I believe. Today I can only guess or check the GL entries after I placed a delivery/invoice.

thx&rgds
rl

Re: Cost Adjustment

You can set item with '000' code, why not? In version 2.1 you can also edit item description after initial entry, to have something more appropriate for description of sold item than 'Enter item here' wink.

You can see the cost of item in two places: at [Items & Inventory/Standard Costs] editor, and you can browse/print all costs in Inventory Valuation Report.

Janusz

Hi,

Sorry, this was a misunderstanding. I meant the item that appears as the first one on a blank sales order. I wanted to use a "faked" one in order to make clear that this is not an item already on the order but that one must be entered. Hence the attempt with "000" because I thought the system takes the first item in the list. But no matter what I do - in the test company it's always the monitor with code 102 that shows up.

Item cost: Yeah, I know but IMHO neither a list nor an entry field is a good place to check for cost. Best would be the status overview - it's the most logical place.

Besides - I am getting "cannot include TCPDF" when trying to print from the German GUI. I did it the translation in utf-8 - shall I switch back to 8859-15?

rgds
rl

Nobody has complained about the displayed first item so far,  but if this is too annoying you can fix this. The selector used in sales order is defined in ui_lists.php. Play with selector order defined about line 717 (v.2.1B source) then you should be satisfied.

Regarding the place for std cost display maybe you are right, but the cost is maintained automatically and is needed mainly for inventory valuation, so who cares?

Pdf report engine works perfectly for utf-8, although needs more memory than for other encodings. What is the exact error message?

Janusz

TCPDF error: Could not include font definition file

Happens in German only, but maybe I messed up a tag, didn't check it yet. After that no more printing at all, as English user it still works. Both users have admin rights. Company is 0, directories are set to 755, chowned to the web-server user. Login/logout clears the German user, print function starts but crashes again with this error. I did not switch on debugging but I will as soon as it starts bothering me.

Re. cost: It's not too bad to see a profit margin before I (or somebody) sell something, no? In particular with free entry of prices...

However, just my 2 cents...

When using unicode you should upload dejavu font pack from download section on this site and unpack it into reporting/fonts directory.
Regarding cost display we do not want to overload  user interface, so only the necessary data are displayed during sales entry. This is for maximal speedup of repeatable operations like sales. This is rule of thumb, but if it is crucial in a specific case of your  business you can of course add this for your own use, together with automatic calculation of GP and whatever else you need.
Default prices are get from database (or calculated from base pricelist), but finally you can always change the price before sales document line entry.

Janusz