Topic: can i install x86 32 bit php 5.5 on 64 bit machine

The non-thread safe site for php for windows reports that 64 bit php 5.5 downloads are experimental. I want something stable. can i install the 32 bit on a 64 bit machine and not have problems later? thanks in advance

Re: can i install x86 32 bit php 5.5 on 64 bit machine

32 bit software on a 64 bit machine is fine, the other way around is not. (I doubt you need 5.5, though. If you're more comfortable with 64 bits, you could just grab a stable release of whatever reasonably recent version they have.)

I would however take Xero's advice and install a complete server environment like XAMPP. Or install a complete virtual Linux server. (Bitnami or turnkey would be good places to start, they have pre-built LAMP stacks available as ready-to-run virtual machines or as ISO's which can be installed into your favourite VM.) However, the latter may not be as "accountant friendly". And it will be scarier. smile

On the other hand, it will be a "contained" installation which will not interfere with Windows. And you could easily move the whole virtual machine to another host if you wanted to. Not to mention how much fun it will be. And how much you will learn. If you don't believe me, just go with XAMPP.

Re: can i install x86 32 bit php 5.5 on 64 bit machine

tm wrote:

And you could easily move the whole virtual machine to another host if you wanted to. Not to mention how much fun it will be. And how much you will learn. If you don't believe me, just go with XAMPP.

Hah! i don't have the time to learn anything new. I just want an accounting/erp software. time really is not on my side. I hope you do understand. i will stick with IIS. I just want an accounting software that will suite my needs.