1 (edited by t2webby 01/19/2009 08:45:21 pm)

Topic: Voiding Transactions

I notice that when we void a transaction we can choose the date to void the transaction. Does this date work at all right now or is it for future implementation? Currently when we void a transaction, it just literally voids that transaction with no relevance to the set void date. It just happens to say voided on this date... But I guess technically it would MORE sense to have it actually void on the actual date set such that the original transaction stays intact but a voided transaction would follow which reverses the original transaction voided. This would be ideal to solving most cases dealing with refunds or credits post month closing or fiscal closing.

For example if I close off a month and there was an invoice there I wish to void, simply voiding that invoice is not an option... Since this would alter the month's closing number. If I needed to void a transaction 2 months from now, I should be able to without affective the previous months data.

I would void it for the current present month keeping the original invoice in the previous month intact, but would give the voided on this date stamp indicating that it was voided and gives reference to the voided transaction. I think doing it this way will open up more flexibility in terms of refund / credit , etc, etc. especially for POS, refunds can be done anyone to the original invoice without affecting month to month closing.

Re: Voiding Transactions

Hi,
My recommendation is to issue a credit note instead of voiding. You don't have to send it to the customer if he doesn't need it, but keep it locally for your own records. This way you get all the dates correctly. And this is probably also a more correct way of doing it.

Regards
Joe

HI Joe, what's the best way to credit an invoice that has already been applied payment to it (allocated). In the case of POS transactions, if we applied a credit note to an account, it would then need to be allocated to an invoicce right? How would you go about properly refunding a POS transaction.

I am a little in a hurry just now with other stuff, but if the payment has already been done, then you will need to pay your customer back. But if this is a POS, and you don't want to do that, you can probably use this credit note to allocate future invoices. I hope you understand.
Otherwise we can continue the discussion later.

/Joe

Hello again. IF THIS WAS A NORMAL INVOICE.
You cannot credit an allocated invoice in Customer Transactions. You must first unallocate it.
Here is how to unallocate an earlier allocated invoice.
Go to Customers tab. Select 'Allocate Customer Payments or Credit Notes. Select the customer.
Mark the box 'Show settled'. Now the payment is shown with a 0 left to allocate.
Press the allocate link. Look up the invoice that have been allocated with this payment.
Press 'None' in the right column. Press Process.
Now the invoice is unallocated again and the payment is restored.
You can now go into Customer Transactions and Credit the Invoice. 

This credit operation will handle the allocations automatically, and you are left with a payment you can return to the customer or use for future allocations of invoices to the customer.

IF THIS WAS A CASH INVOICE WiTH AR set in customer branch to a bank account, the operations is much easier. You don't have to unallocate, but instead you go directly to 'Customer Credit Notes'. Select the customer and the branch with the AR account set to the bank account. Credit the same item and process. The allocation is done immediately, so everything is settled.
If you look at the GL posting, you will see a credit value from the bank account and that is exactly what the customer should have, right?

I hope you can follow these operations smile

/Joe

6 (edited by t2webby 01/20/2009 10:43:22 pm)

Before the credit note.

With the cash method, even though its settled will the the customer's branch show an outstanding balance though ? Cause no payment was technically put to the account, so the reports will still show outstanding on on the customer balances and aged customer report. Can you verify this? Maybe there should be a check on these reports to see if the AR is the bank and if it is, outstanding is 0 and balance is 0 as well, then this would make more sense no?

I have just tested the cash invoices (with AR set to bank accounts) in customer balances and the debit/credit amount is the same as the allocation and the balance is 0 for these amounts. Was currency involved? It shouldn't really matter. Are you using 2.1 or 2.0.6? The allocation is set immediately when this is a cash invoice/credit note, so this has nothing to do with payments.
This is strange. Tu, can you give me a test scenario?

/Joe

wait a minute, I guess I understand what you mean. In the customer balance and the aged customer analysis there are no payments to deduct the cash invoices/credit notes. The records show the amounts without allocations. Yes.
I will have a look into that. This is only for the special case of cash invoices with the AR set to a bank account.

/Joe

Janusz has a solution to this. He will commit it in a while.

/Joe

The fix for bug in cash sales allocation have been uploaded to CVS unstable - sales_invoice_db.inc

Janusz

The cash invoicing has changed in release 2.1. From 2.1 you simply select cash invoicing in the selector Cash / Delayed in Direct Invoice .
You don't need to set the AR account on the branch to a bank account. Let it be an AR account and the new selector Cash fixes it all.

/Joe