Topic: serial number tracking

I have a client that will definitely move to FrontAccounting if it supports serial number tracking. Is this currently on the cards at all? How difficult would it be to implement? My client imports and sells large earthmoving equipment, but this is also a critical feature for a number of other industries and I think this will be a very useful feature.

Re: serial number tracking

Serial numbers/lot control is very useful, but also a big task. We have considered some time ago the implementation, but there is a lot of smaller, less time consuming features to be done, which still are missing in FA. As we have limited resources the implementation of such bigger tasks have to wait until any third party will be determined enough to implement it and contribute the code FrontAccounting project, or will pay FA dev team for it to be done sooner.

Janusz

I need serial number tracking/lot tracking procedure alse. I would like to pay FA dev Team to make it done. Could you post a quote about this feature?

I need also, the developing time.

Thanks

Hello,
I will contact you directly via email soon.

Janusz

I have deleted the last post, just to save you from spam robots. I hope you have received email from me.

Janusz

6 (edited by mnicholas 11/20/2010 12:19:56 pm)

A requirement which has some similar elements is the selling of domain registrations for example. Many identically priced, but unique items. The name of the domain can be considered to be similar to the serial number.

Some of this functionality can be achieved by adding a "Price" field to "Item Categories".

Hope that makes some sense.

Hi Guys,

i also interested on the serial number module.

pls advice

Thanks

me too. i would like to track items through their serial number which would make it easier to account for the inventory.

9 (edited by chaitanya 12/31/2010 10:24:52 am)

Sorry wrong place.

Is there any progress on this topic.
This is a required feature

Chaitanya

Read my post sent on April 30th. Nothing has changed so far in this subject.
Janusz.

How much it cost to add serial number? pls quote me and email to thamaaron{at}gmail.com

Bump.

Has this feature been developed?

Thanks

UD.

+1.
Ready to do a contribution for dev team.

Would it be possible to have

Hi Itronics, if you have developed the above discussed feature could you please send me a qoute at danish at dys-solutions.com

Do the developers think of the intriducing such feature? there are too many requests, even a donation is suggested...

Is anybody interested here in writing full specification of the requested extension?
Serial number tracking is too complex functionality to just sit and implement it in a minute. I personally have no special experience in business requiring serial number nor batch tracking, so I cannot specify the needed features myself.

When you are registered to FrontAccounting forum, you have write access to FA Wiki as well. If you are really interested in the feature, please open new page on wiki and describe all the functionality needed in basic yet functional serial number tracking. Alternatively you can write specification as OpenOffice document and attach it to new feature request you will create on FrontAccounting Mantis.

This is the first and anyway necessary step to have this feature implemented in FrontAccounting, regardless is it done as free extension or paid customization.
Janusz

Hi, I've done this customization twice or thrice for FA, I think. I may need to dig out some old documents about this and upload it somewhere. The requirement vary per company so I don't know which should be standard.

Here's a sample  of Serial Number inquiry with the old version.

If you have anything to share you can send it also to FA contributions mailbox. Thanks in advance.
Janusz

Noob here, just loaded 2.3.16 on my server and started tweaking it. It's apparent that this is good for my operation of assembling electronic devices, but it seems that if serial numbering gets off the ground, it would be great if it ties in on the manufacturing side with revision control. As I imagine it, when a work order is entered, let's imagine that the WO is to make 10 items, the revision level of the hardware, and a separate revision number for the firmware, should be attached to the range of 10 serial numbers, and the WO generates those serial numbers and each inventory item at that point has a unique SN.

Then, when the PO is generated, the actual SNs would be tracked to the PO and the customer. Later, we would be able to look up what hardware revision and firmware revision was sent to a particular customer, if there's a question about revision numbers.

Am I dreaming, or is this realistic?

Serial number/lot tracking is not supported in FA 2.3, however it is some chance it will be available in 2.4.  I have started coding this feature some time ago, but this is huge development so I'm still not sure whether it will be finished before next major release is ready.
Janusz

22 (edited by Farhaj 06/27/2013 10:15:24 am)

Serial number. please tell me in which forms Serial number option are needed.
if it is needed on inventory item, I think I will do it.

Get someone to make a module extending FA for it if it isn't there as yet. Try using Dimensions and Tags to see if they fit the bill.

Janusz,
Can you update your progress on this for 2.4?
In an earlier post you mentioned needing a specification.  Do you have one you are working to?  My company is interested in this functionality.  I am willing to support the specification and testing.  I am not a php developer so I cannot help there but I have a lot of experience with Lot/serial/batch control in ERP systems.  Depending on the amount our company may be willing to support the development financially as well.
Andrew

The sample alluded to in a previous post is attached here for self sufficiency of the forum.

Post's attachments

2i8ypnl.jpg 55.4 kb, 1 downloads since 2016-01-03 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.