Topic: can we use FA for Small Charity Organization

Dear All

Please advise me weather can we use FA for Charity Organization. As this organization dont have inventory as well as it does not sell any product.

Regards

Raja

Re: can we use FA for Small Charity Organization

Yes, of course you can. Just select an appropriate chart of accounts when installing.

/joe

Dear Joe

Thank U very much for ur reply. Please advise me as I m really new to this. As our organization dont have sale and inventory, it just run on donation from general public. Sorry for bothering u, but i need assistance on this.

Regards

Raja

I guess you should talk to a local accountant, how to set this up. Frontaccounting has no problem serving you.

Joe

Set up donation as a service entry with zero tax.
Service items are "sold" with no inventory.
Recurring donations can also be taken care of with recurring invoices "selling" such service items.

Dear Apmuthu

Can u please help me more. I really appreciate your Kind Support.

Regards

Raja

7 (edited by ddahlstrom 04/22/2013 10:49:48 pm)

We are using FA for a church.  Apmuthu is correct.  Setup your donations as service type items.  We use dimension 1 to designate departments/projects and dimension 2 to designate funds.  We used the "US COA for a non-profit company" as the basis for our chart of accounts and edit as needed. 

Three important things we have learned so far.
1.  FA works surprisingly well.  On multiple occassions I have discovered things I thought the software couldn't do are actually very doable once I understood how the system worked.
2.  You are largely on your own when it comes to setting up your system.  The devs here will quickly come to your aid when reporting bugs or have general questions, but you need to do your own accounting homework.
3.  You would do well to learn how to write your own reports.  I have written three so far.  The built-in reports are generally quite good, but it is very likely that you'll need to supplement them.  If you know a programming language it's not too hard.