Topic: Digital Items

Hi all,

I'm curious of the best way to handle digital items in FA. Something I commonly do is purchase a website template and incorporate it into a project I'm working on for a customer.

I then charge them for the purchased template as well as my hourly rate. My question is how to handle creating these digital items on the item list. It will be part of the COGS, but should it be a regular item that is part if inventory or just created as a service item?

Thanks for the help!

-Chris

Re: Digital Items

The "best" way is what works best for you but, basically, if you create it as a "purchased" item then it will be tracked in the inventory module so you can easily see movements in/out of inventory.  If you create it as a "service" item you lose the movement tracking in the inventory module although can still post the debit to a COGS account instead of an expense account when you purchase the item.

So, I guess the question you have to ask yourself is how important is the tracking functionality to you?

It's not really movement tracking I'm worried about on these items. It's not like I'm losing money by holding them or keeping stock to sell to customers.  I only buy them for specific projects and bill them directly to the client. So I never have multiple qtys in stock or anything.

Just trying to make sure I setup things correctly first so I don't regret it later.

Thanks for the help!

You're smart to be thinking of this kind of thing now, before you get to far into entering data into FA, so congrats on that.

Sounds to me like the setting up the items as "service" items will suit your needs, since tracking in/out movements isn't a issue for you  Now, you have to decide whether to create one generic item (e.g. "Templates") and dump all templates into that, or create individual items for each template.  Again, both methods work it's just a matter of how granular you want the data for future reporting/analysis purposes.  Using separate items for each template will gives you more granular/detailed info but could get cumbersome if you're dealing with a lot of different templates.

Good luck to you in getting FA setup exactly how you want to suit your purposes!  It sounds to me like you're well on the way!

Regards,

Chris

Yes! Its going very well thanks to all the support on the forum. I was thinking about if I should use one inventory item for all these or one items for each template.  I was leaning toward making an item for each due to some recurring invoicing needs.  However, the more I look into recurring invoicing it looks like its template driven.  So maybe using multiple items wouldn't make a difference anyway?

Sorry, but I can't be of much help with this one as I've never used the recurring invoice feature.  Maybe someone else who's used it will have some helpful thoughts?

Regards,

Chris