Topic: install new version of FA on the same server as second company

Hello all,

I am new to this forum. I have been requested by an accounting firm to install the latest version of FA on their existing linux server. The company was owned by two partners and now they split. I was requested to install the updated version of FA on the same server with the new company setup and can be used from next month.

Is it possible to install the new version on the same server ? (Keeping in mind the company do not want to loose the data from  the previous version and would like to access now and then for the next 3-6months).

thanks

Re: install new version of FA on the same server as second company

I'm not sure if this helps you, but you can create a new company by going into Setup -> Create/Update Companies.  Be sure to enter a different table prefix for the second company.  Once that's done, when someone goes to login they're presented with a drop down box to select the company they want to log into, the first company being the original company (two partners), and the second company being the new company (after the split).

Once the second company is created, you can do journal entries to post the starting balances from the old company (i.e. the account balances at the time of the split.)  The data is still in the old company in detailed format, and is now also in the new company as an opening balance.  Then, you just carry on with entering transactions into the new company as they occur.

I hope the above is helpful to you.

Regards,

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I am I right to say that once the second company is setup in FA users don't need to worry about the data/figures of the first company. The company does not want to carry with the previous name and do not want to create any invoices  by the first company name. Just make the balance 0 and start entering new transactions on the new Setup. will this work? This will not involve of spending on hardware and do the installation and customisation.

Please advice me on this.

Regards

My assumption, which was apparently wrong, was that when the original company was "split" the new company would "start" with opening GL account balances comprised of a percentage of the assets, liabilities and equity of the original company based on how they were split-up when the partners separated.  If not, and you're starting from scratch, then everything else I said applies.  Just don't enter any opening balances from the old company.

The "bottom line" is that FA does handle multiple companies by using different table prefixes for each company.  Then, when someone logs onto the system, the select the commpany they want from the drop down list.

Regards,

Chris

You can use separate database and separate prefix for the second company as they own the physical hardware and have access to the MySQL Server itself.

In fact the new install can be on a separate domain with the newest version on the same physical server and you would need to migrate the COA with no opening balances only.