Topic: Translation portal

Hi

FA needs some official online translation portal - where translators can easly and online update the languages - and developers can add them to official package.

I made special account some times ago to Launchpad and it was fine - but now is there problem to get new strings in - it doesn't update any more.

Re: Translation portal

The newest language packages can be installed / updated from the Setup tab, Install / update languages.
The central repository is always updated with the latest packages.

/Joe

I mean translation portal - where multiple users can translate

We used to translate the messages using poedit or similar tools. According to my feelings the problem here is not lack of tolls, but rather lack of translators wink.
I'm not sure what we can do to help you with the problem?
Janusz

Hi

I am using frontaccounting Version 2.3.10 Build 12.02.2012 and installed Swedish language through setup.
The language is still English.

Does the language of the operating system at client computer affect language in frontaccounting?

How do I change language to Swedish?

How can I contribute to make the translation better?
I use ubuntu 11.10

Ikes

You have to install proper locales on your ubuntu server. See here for more info.

i translate the arabic language file ar_EG.po to Urdu named as ur_PAK.po using Poedit ,when i select the .po and .mo file from language folder in setup menue of install/update languages. it doesnot translate the whole ERP just translate 1% of sentences specially System Diagnostics meues. i nedd a guidline .

riyaz ahmed

Look into the sticky topics in this forum about how to translate into a language.

/Joe

Please send the translation files to us, then we can check what is wrong with them (if any). YOu can use contributions mailbox.
Janusz

use ur_PK.po and compile it to ur_PK.mo and use it.

Janusz how can i send to you ?? any email ?

When i save the file with ur_PK.po it saves but generate an error .
error : "Entries with error were marked in red list.Details of error will be shown when you select such an entry.
The file was saved safely,but cannot be compile into the MO format and used."

riyaz has finally solved the problem himself, and the ur_PK (partial) translation is in repo. Thanks!
Anybody interested in finishing the translation is welcome to do it.

Janusz

itronics wrote:

We used to translate the messages using poedit or similar tools. According to my feelings the problem here is not lack of tolls, but rather lack of translators wink.
I'm not sure what we can do to help you with the problem?
Janusz

I once considered cleaning up the Swedish translation, but decided to use it in English instead. (Apparently the poedit version available from the Ubuntu repo was rather buggy, and then even the translations which looked correct turned out not to "line up" with the phrase they were supposed to replace. That was enough to put me off the project.)

Had there been a "translation portal" along the lines spott suggested, I could have changed a word or a phrase without downloading anything and without having to submit a file anywhere. The problem is not so much the lack of translators, but rather the lack of translators wiling to accept responsibility for maintaining a translation.

The current system expects the translator to be a software developer, which obviously limits the number of potential translators available. In fact, any "professional" user (accountants etc.) would have the "domain knowledge" (terminology) required for translating the application. And any literate user would be able to fix typos and spelling mistakes.

Enabling them to do so without commitment would surely lead to better translations.

Hello,
Remember that this  is a non profit project. We have had many successful translations, so please help us with that. We are very grateful for all your help.

Joe

I believe web translating services are handy (personaly I have never used them), but *.po files are textual and have obvious format, so you can make translation with any text editor.  If you do not want to download and install any translation tools, MS Note will suffice. Sending translated file by email is also not rocket science.

Janusz

I want to bring this up again.

If I understood the answers well, then the lack of an existing online translation tool - by now - are the required .po files.

What about Pootle and the translation tool kit: http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/
TYPO3 is using Pootle and you can get a impression here: http://translation.typo3.org/

Is there a FrontAccounting translation core-team that could take care of the conversion to .po?
On this way FrontAccounting users could more easy participate with translations.

Regards,

AWIDON

Thank you for your link share. I have seen and tried it (translation for typo3), and I liked it.

This will make translation easier since it uses crowdsourcing for translation. I think it is a good idea to implement in FA for enhancement. I still don't know the difficulties, though. So let FA team makes the decision.

19 (edited by apmuthu 11/12/2015 04:49:04 pm)

Just tested Transifex:

1. Help pages are outdated.
2. Do not allow downloading of .mo files - no conversion.
3. Needs a desktop client and then use CLI to pull/push.
4. Free for Open Source projects.
5. Supports only UTF-8 for upload and download currently.
6. Bulk Review of Translations does not filter reviewed strings on clicking "download of reviewed strings" link.
7. Displayed languages not sortable (stays in default order of No. of UnTranslated strings, Language Name, Lang Code).
8. Resource wise languages listing not available.
9. The translation pairs are arranged in alphabetical order of the original strings and not in the order of the original resource po file. GlotPress maintains the order of the source resource and preserves the original resource file line numbers in the comments that precede the translations also.

20 (edited by apmuthu 11/10/2015 06:44:20 am)

Have created an account for FrontAccounting on Transifex for public viewing - interested translators can request for write access.

Tested out GlotPress and it has the same UTF-8 only limitation although it allows for downloading .mo files. It can run as standalone on Windows XAMPP - just tweak the directory settings by replacing "\" with "/".

21 (edited by apmuthu 11/10/2015 07:09:57 am)

Uploaded 40 languages - both core and installer language resources are there. Many installer language .po files are now 100 % translated. Others and those in the core have their translations added to.

Attached is the current consolidated status of the translations in Transifex FA v2.3 project. Anyone interested in maintaining their own languages can PM me for update access specifying the language to be maintained by them.

There is another Transifex project for FA 2.3 started by Gjergj Sheldija mainly for the Albanian language. It will now get redirected here and is privately maintained.

Those who wish to download the latest translations for all languages in one go can unzip the contents of this file into a single folder and then on the Windows command prompt, cd into the folder and then execute tx pull -a and all the .po files will get into the respective lang and install/lang folders whilst the unconfigured ones will get into a po folder.

Post's attachments

FA_Transifex_2015-11-10.png 53.4 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.