Topic: No longer able to enter negative amounts after upgrade 2.2 -> 2.3

Hello, I've been searching the docs and forums for an answer to this question as to why I can no longer enter a negative amount when doing a bank deposit.  Just to clarify I do not have any sort of accounting background, but have been avidly reading the docs and forums on how to best utilize this great piece of software.

I run a nonprofit sports club which does not have inventory other than a few sales items so we have been using only the general ledger portion of this software to track membership payments, donations, discounts and payments for facilities and rental items.  In the past when I receive member payments I enter them as a bank deposit, for example $100 to a membership account, $20 to a late fee account (if applicable), -$4.25 to credit payment processor fees and -$10 to a discount contra account.  This then totals to the actual amount to be deposited in the bank. 

With the recent upgrade I am no longer able to enter negative amounts, even though if I use the quick entry method, this method posts negative entry values.  What am I doing wrong?  Is the quick entry the only way to enter negative values?  Is there a better way to handle these types of transactions? If so I would appreciate any feedback.  I seem to recall reading somewhere in possibly this forum something about a general accounting principle of separating journal entries from bank deposits, is that what I should be doing?  Recording each transaction first as journal entries and the bank deposits as separate entries?  This method seems to double the workload.

I would appreciate any and all advice.  Thank you.

Re: No longer able to enter negative amounts after upgrade 2.2 -> 2.3

You can login as an admin. Then you can use the Journal Entry, where you use the GL accounts for the bank accounts. FA will automatically book the bank entries into the bank account.

/Joe

Joe,
I know this thread is a little old, but why was this restriction put in place? After some testing with quick entries, negative numbers on the bank payments don't seem to cause any trouble.  Do negative lines on a bank payment cause problems that I'm overlooking?

Thank you,
-Joshua

I recall that this was implemented to avoid mistakes when entering the right sign in using either bank payments /deposits.

But it was considered more safe when using quick entries.

Joe