Topic: UTF8 vs ISO8859-1

Hi,

I installed FA but could not switch to german because the languagefiles are all iso 8859-1 and my server is running utf8 only.

What is to be done, i did a search for the item and installing the locale for iso8859-1 next to the utf8 should not be smart.

Kind regards,
Jan

Re: UTF8 vs ISO8859-1

Are you referring to the MySQL collation? It is possible to change the database collation - PhpMyAdmin makes it easy to change the settings, if you are on a shared hosting provider.

Hi,

thanks for the quick response!

I am not referring to the mysql collation. I mean the locale on the machine, I run it on my own linuxmachine with apache.
Installed "german" in FA but that is "not supported" for I have all utf8 locales and no iso-8859-1 installed.

Therefore my question, is there a german lanuage-file with utf8 encoding or should I just use poedit to change the encoding and make a new languagefile?  I did something similar a year ago or so with weberp.

Kind regards,
Jan

You can recode the language file (e.g. with 'recode' tool), compile it again with msgfmt, and change declared encoding in installed_languages.php. But if you have enough permissions on your linux server you can just add de_DE.iso-8859-1 locales along with de_DE.utf-8. I see no reason why you consider this simple solution as 'not smart'.

Janusz

Hi,

I found a remark in internet, but I will install iso-8859-1 that is easier, I have the server under my desk, so I have all permissions ;-)

Kind regards,
Jan

Fine! This way you will have language pack updates instantly available from repo, and the report files will be _much_ smaller than in those generated on utf-8 systems.
Janusz

Hi

I installed it on the server and FA opened in german straight away.

I want to see if and how the combination with prestashop will work for I need
Webshop / POS / Accounting integrated where Openbravo as an ERP is way too large and too complicated.

But that is for another forum thread, this one is solved.

Kind regards,
Jan

recode reference