Topic: chinese characters

Hi

I can not create a supplier's name in chinese because the name will become question marks.

Would you help me to solve the problem ???

THK!!
Paul Wong

Re: chinese characters

I am not at all expert in Chinese, but did you set the MySql to use utf-8?

/Joe

hello Joe,

i have the same problem ... i want to add in the item name and description after English some Chinese characters but i get all ???

• in Setup > Preferences i have selected Language : English

• in Setup > Install Languages i have installed and activated zh_CN Chinese Simplified UTF-8 Installed 2.3.0-1  installed Yes

as u have suggested i have checked MySql and i have got this:

Character Set and Collation

Collation                                       Description
utf8_bin                                     Unicode (multilingua), Binario
utf8_general_ci                        Unicode (multilingua), case-insensitive
utf8_general_mysql500_ci           Unicode (multilingua)
utf8_unicode_ci                        Unicode (multilingua), case-insensitive

could you suggest me how to type few chinese words in the name and description fields?

many thanks

Unfortunatelly  FA does not support utf well in this version. This is fixed in forthcoming 2.4 version.
You can eventually change encoding for English to utf-8 in installed_languages.inc: surely iso-8859-1 does not support chinese language.
Janusz

Check includes/page/header.inc file if any hardcoded changes might be a temporary workaround.

apmuthu wrote:

Check includes/page/header.inc file if any hardcoded changes might be a temporary workaround.

sorry apmuthu,

i am not clear ... i should check the above file for language setting? i don't know coding so that file for me is meaningless ... i have used "find" function and i have noticed the

$_SESSION['language']

appears 3 times ...

if you suggest me to hardcode it and apply some change could you be more specific to guide me

many thanks in advance

itronics wrote:

Unfortunatelly  FA does not support utf well in this version. This is fixed in forthcoming 2.4 version.
You can eventually change encoding for English to utf-8 in installed_languages.inc: surely iso-8859-1 does not support chinese language.
Janusz

dear Janusz,

you are right, the language i have as default is

C    English    iso-8859-1    No    Unknown    None 

in the "Install/Update Languages" table below i have 2 other Englis options, en_NZ  English (NZ) and en_US  English (US), but both are iso-8859-1    :-(

could you suggest me how to find and add a new language (english utf-8) ?

many thanks

In English case the easiest way is just manually change the encoding declared in installed_langauges.inc to 'utf-8'. English alphabet have the same charcodes in utf and iso. I'm not sure it is enough to store chinese characters in database, but you can try.
Janusz

itronics wrote:

In English case the easiest way is just manually change the encoding declared in installed_langauges.inc to 'utf-8'. English alphabet have the same charcodes in utf and iso. I'm not sure it is enough to store chinese characters in database, but you can try.
Janusz

let me check if i have understood correctly

you suggest to open the file installed_languages.inc inside the folder lang

'encoding' => 'iso-8859-1',

and change the 'iso-8859-1' into 'utf-8' (lower case or upper case)

is that right?

Yes, exactly. I'm not sure it is enough to properly store all utf-8 characters in non-utf-8 tables, but at least you can try how it works.
Janusz

i did change this value

'encoding' => 'iso-8859-1'

with this

'encoding' => 'UTF-8'

it works fine, now i can input Chinese characters and i see them displayed correctly on the output Sales Order ...

many thanks for the contribution  :-)

Vito

Wikiied it!