Topic: Can we select multiple items for Supplier invoice?

The supplier invoice process would be much faster if we can select multiple items each time especially when there are lots of received items to be invoiced.
Is there any solution for it?

Re: Can we select multiple items for Supplier invoice?

No, you have to take them one by one, because there could be quantity and/or price change.

/Joe

The way the system handles sales order and Purchase order is very convenient and speedy. i.e. each item is listed in one row with an edit button that allow us to edit the quantity or price is necessary. When there are several tens of delivered items, it is very annoying by jumping back and forth several tens time especially both price and quantity are correct most of the time.

I understand your wish. You want to have all the entries in one window instead of popping forth and back.
I have to discuss this with my co-developers.
One possible way would be to start with the GRN rows. All the PO receivable rows could be here, editable in the qty/price fields, with an 'Add Item' button. For admins there should also be a Removal button to completely wipe the PO receivable out.
Only those rows that have been added are gone to the invoice.
After the GRN rows there could be similar rows as in Bank Payment for eventually GL postings. The entries could be horizontal instead to better follow the pattern.

The document form would be somewhat higher, but you avoid popping forth and back. And you only have to press the 'Add Item' Button for those rows that are ok (without editing them).

What do you think about that? Comments from other?

/Joe

Yeah! Good idea!
One small concern:- The respond of the 'Add Item' button must be fast and instant.
If the 'Add item' button calls the server for repsonse every time, it might rely too much on the internet speed. Or, if a complicated JS is called every time the 'Add Item' button is hit, the response time might be slowed down when there are lots of received items.
Considering somewhere in the world may still using slow speed internet or slow computer, it might be more convenient for having a check box next to each entry and add an 'Add all selected items' button somewhere to allow user to add a bunch of received items into the Invoice in a single time.
As the FA is getting mature, I foresee more more incorporations will use FA for their operations. The design of FA should cater for handling large amount of items/orders with least dependant on internet or computer speed.

Release 2.0.4 now has this new supplier invoice/credit note design. The adding of lines should be done in memory, but there might still be a smaller delay.
I hope you like this new approach.
Release 2.1 unstable has an Ajax Loader, so you can see it is working.

/Joe

Appreciate a lot for your quick actions. I see a great improvement on the UI and new approach in entering Invoice.
However, we still face one critical issue. We are indeed using FA in production. Currently, we have about 280 entries (received items) to be invoiced. It takes about 80 sec for the system to respond everytime we press the Add to Invoice button.

This is absolutely unacceptable behaviour, but in fact I cannot reproduce it. This issue must have to do with your exact configuration, I think. First please test how invoicing works with javascript switched off in browser. If the lags are off this is ajax related issue on your configuration. Also you can set $go_debug in config.php to on to have warning messages displayed if there are any.

Janusz

Thanks for your suggestion! Sorry! I don't know how to turn off the Javascript in browser. I am using IE. Please advise.

I set $go_debug=1 but there is no error reported.
By the way, it also takes about 3 mins to load all these 280+ entries onto the screen when we first select the corresponding vendor.

Baffin

11 (edited by itronics 10/24/2008 01:45:35 pm)

Now I understand what you mean. You have 280+  received items for the same supplier? Well, this is not usual situation and in fact it can be a problem. It cannot be resolved in an easy way, I'm affraid. The rendering time depends on size of displayed page and if you have some tousands of html elements(this is the case!) it simply must be slow.

Janusz

Hello again, FYI baffin, it is now possible to select all items in one sweep. Check out the following files from CVS repository at sourceforge.
There are also improvements to the layout.
Files: /purchasing/supplier_invoice.php, /purchasing/supplier_credit.php and /purchasing/includes/ui/invoice_ui.inc .

If you want to, you can edit the rows before submitting the 'Add All Items' . Should there be lines with errors, they will not be added, and you can edit them (you get errormsg for every line that fails). Then again you can either take them one by one or all by 'Add All Items'. Pretty cool, ha?

/Joe

Hi Joe, yeah! the 'Add All Items' button is cool. It saves lots of clicks.
The issue we are facing is a little bit complicated. Because we have so many low value items from one single vendors. As the system calls out all items received yet to be invoiced, it slows down the system significantly. One quick solution might be to limit the number of items to be displayed every time (say, 50 or add a box to allow the user decide by himself). Or. add two date boxes to allow the client specify the range of time the items received.

Baffin

I'm sorry Baffin. We have to stop here, because otherwise it gets too complicated. Of course it would be possible to maximize the items to 50, but if there are 200 items on the supplier invoice, you will need the rest to go into that invoice.

/Joe

I understand your concern. However, this issue can be solved easily if the user is allowed to specify the maximium items to display by themselves. I believe users will love this feature as it will speed up FA a lot. As more more items are invoiced, the number of outstanding received items will be reduced too.

Baffin