Topic: breakdown of large purchase to small sales

Hi,

How would I perform the following:
1) I purchase a 200 litre drum of stuff.
2) i sell small amounts of the stuff as either
  a) 25 litre
  b) 5 litre
  c) 1 litre
  d) 500ml
  etc.

Do i buy 200 x 1 litre or 1 x 200 litre?

Thanks

Re: breakdown of large purchase to small sales

You can use the conversion factor in Purchase Pricing, Items and Inventory tab. Also look in the wiki, https://frontaccounting.com/fawiki .

/Joe

hi,

that doesn't really work. If I set the conversion to, for example,  8 (200/25) then i have to order a qty of 8 to get the 1 x 200L drum. As they also sell 25L bottles, this could be very confusing.

Is there a way of breaking down an item to smaller items in the manufacturing module?

thanks

No, it is not. It will probably be necessary to use more decimals to do your operations.

/Joe

Hi,

Thanks for your 'brutal' honest lol. I have tried decimals where I think it would work and it doesn't accept them. However, I wondered whether it would be possible to allow positive and negative stock adjustments on the same journal - that would solve it for me and I can alter the code to do this but I wonder what implication this would have on the data integrity?

Sharif

The positive or negative selections on Item Adjustments are here for safety. o you will need two Journals to operate this.

/Joe

I'm _really_ new here, (this is my first post), but I would think that you would order 200 units. I'm evaluating FA, and I will need to order quantities, sometimes in a single package or container, of an item, and use single items as part of an assembly or kit (I don't know the word FA uses for this).

This is a fundamental use case for me. I'm sure FA can work like this.

Thanks!

Yes, when purchase order is printed/mailed supplier specific unit of measure/description are used.
Janusz