Topic: Service Invoice

Can I have a different series of invoices in the system? I mean to say is there a way I can keep two different set of invoices, one for sales (tax invoice) the other for service (non-tax invoice), And I need different reference numbers (series) on each type of invoice. example; for sales the invoice numbers should start with SAL001 and for Service (non-tax) invoices the number should start with SRV001.
Is it possible to do that?

Re: Service Invoice

No, this is not possible. You can use 2 different references, but in this case you will have to keep track of the increments yourself.

/Joe

3 (edited by anwarkc 05/06/2010 08:10:11 am)

could u please suggest similar open source software for service invoicing only?
And I appreciate the way FA is put up. Its simply fantastic!
And once I am through with the implementaion at my business I am gonna donate some money to help develop this software further.
Thank you all and well done.

I can see this is an old posting, but my question is a bit similar.  I am looking at the possibility for using FA for back-office operations for a small hotel (17 rooms), we are constructing in Nicaragua.  For the frontdesk, I am looking at php-residence/Hoteldruid (also a LAMP based package).  I am doubting whether to invoice in php-residence (as clients are entered there anyway, when they make a reservation) and then enter these invoices manually in FA (as e.g. weekly sales), or to invoice directly in FA.  However, trying out the direct invoicing under sales in FA, I can see the whole thing is set up for a manufacturing or retail company.  And there are a lot of requirements for setting up branches and accounts for direct costs, that are simply not relevant, but without which you can't make an invoice.  So the conclusion is to invoice outside FA, or is there a short-cut?

I'm not sure where is the problem. Once you have selected default settings in GL Setup, they are used for new customers.
Janusz

Thanks for the answer, which I had overseen. I have contributed to completing the translation of FA into Spanish (Nicaragua), and will now ask the tax services to give me a permission to use the programme for GL. It is working nicely so I don't expect problems there.
I have given the "direct invoice" a try, and despite the oddities with "branches" it works.  Some problems, however:
(i)  Is there a way I can get FA to post the VAT directly to the VAT account, so I don't have to do that manually?
(ii)  Despite having defined the invoice as "cash", FA registers it as a credit.  As most of the sales will be cash or credit card, is there a way to make FA register the sale as going to the cash or bank account?
(iii) As the tax office wants me to use preprinted and prenumbered invoices, I would have to change the layout of the invoice, eliminating the header and invoice number.  I guess there is no other way to do that than to edit the php-files under reporting.

Regarding (i), The VAT is posted directly to the account setup for this Tax Type (Outgoing tax).

All Sales are posted into GL in credit. Please have a discussiont with a local Accountant regarding this.

Yes, if you want to change the invoice layout, you will have to do that in the php-files. Mostly /reporting/includes/header2.inc.

/Joe

Thanks for a quick response.
(i) Where in the set-up do I tell the system to post the VAT on the VAT account number?  I have been trying different options.  In the configuration-tax I have told the system, which accounts are used for invoicing and purchases and the VAT % (15 in Nicaragua), but I can see nowhere where the VAT account can be defined.  "Tax groups"? Or "Tax types"?
(ii) If sales are automatically defined as credits, I will obviously have to make another entry with the payment.
(iii) I shall see if I can find somebody who can give me hand with the php file for the invoice setup.  If I find a solution, I shall send it to you.

In the tax types you define the outgoing tax gl account as well as the ingoing tax account.

Joe

Thanks for the explanation.  Now it works with automatic crediting to the VAT account.
Works fine also for acquisitions.  Sorry for being a bit slow.
Now, we have a very peculiar system here, where we have to retain 1% on all payments for goods and services and pay them monthly to the tax office as an advance tax payment on behalf of the providers.  Is there any smart way we could implement that so it is done automatically when we pay an invoice, we have put into the system?

I think you should talk to a local Accountant about how to do that. There are several ways of doing this.
If this has to be done during payment, you could probably use some kind of quick entries for that.

Joe

Well I am doing that already in another programme.  I simply post the 1% as part of the payment but as a debt to the tax office and pay the rest by cash or cheque.
Thanks anyway - I shall figure something out.

A solution to this retention question, even if a bit awkward, is to create an extra credit account defined as credit from the tax office, and from which the 1% is paid. This credit is set to zero each time the 1% is paid to the tax office. Only drawback is that the payment format under "purchase" only permits one source of payment, so it has to be done as two operations, first with the payment of the 99% with e.g. a check or bank transfer, and then a new payment operation for the outstanding 1% with a tax credit. A lot of paperwork, but at least it works. However, it might be easier to make a manual ledger entry.

I am working through the demo account but I cant get a service invoice to look right - I run a consulting company and therefore only do service invoices.  I have tried to use direct invoice but I couldn't send a invoice which I have created in the demo it always ends up looking like  a  manufacturing invoice.  I need just the name of my client and address and the invoice number and then a clear typing space when I can write what we are charging for then the amount + GST and total box.  I seem to get a load of box's which charge to charge branch payment terms reference etc there is no where for my to type what I am charging my client for.

Can someone please explain how I do a plain service invoice what I have to do to achieve it set it up etc.  At present I use Sage and MYOB both software allow me to either manufacturing/retail or Service from a drop down box, but I cant find anything like that in FA

You have to define some generic item in stock with  'Service' item type, with 'Editable description' box checked. USing this item you can entry any serivce with description wish during sales invoice entry.
There is only one common layout for invoices in FA, so maybe some not especially usefull information will be printed also for service invoices, but this should not be a problem.

Janusz

Sorry determined to get to grip with this package.  Can you explain where I find and change these settings, I have looked in inventory but not to sure where to look.  I want to work through the demo before I download my own.    Where do I find the set up for invoices layout?

thorbjornw - have you got FA working nicely with PHP-Residence/HotelDruid ?

I have decided to make all the essential management in FA and then use Hoteldruid only for reservations.  It is beyond my capacity, at least for the moment, to try and integrate the two.  What would be needed is essentially an export of the client data from Hoteldruid to FA, so it wouldn't necessary to enter the data twice, and as both are using MySQL I guess it should not be too complicated. So if anybody can do that in an automated way, it would be very nice.