Topic: How to make new language .po and .mo files

I have been trying out FA for a small hotel in Nicaragua (in Ubuntu 11.10).  As it is a requirement here that the accounts be in Spanish, I tried first the Mexican version, but as the translation was quite bad, I changed to the Argentinian one, which turns out to be much better.  I have worked with that one and made changes and additions to the translation with POedit.  I had a lot of difficulties getting the language to actually change, so I had to make Argentinian Spanish the default locale to make it work, but that creates a series of problems for my other programmes (plus that there are idiomatic differences too).  I would therefore like to contribute with a Nicaraguan version of the translation (es_NI), but I am not sure how I can do that based on the Argentinian version (es_AR). I found out, I can't simply change the name of the .po file, but the link on the FA website explaining how to proceed seems to be broken.  Could you give me a link to an explanation on how to contribute with a new translation based on a similar one?

Re: How to make new language .po and .mo files

Is this the correct link?

https://frontaccounting.com/wbt/pages/download/language-translation.php

Joe

That link works, but it does not explain how to create a new language from an existing one.  The link that is broken is this one (On the fawiki page:https://frontaccounting.com/fawiki/index.php?n=Help.InstallUpdateLanugages) :

"If the language file you require doesn't exist on the Sourceforge server you can create your own .po and .mo files using Poedit as indicated here: https://frontaccounting.com/wbt/pages/download/download-languages.php Simply use Poedit to alter an existing .po language file where you wish to change it and save to your new language folder. Then update the language as above. "

What I have done, but I am not sure it is the right way, is simply to open the es_AR .po file in POedit and save it as es_NI.  Then install the es_NI locale and make it default.  FA seems now to use the es_NI file, even if it says that it is not installed (it is actually there in var/www/frontaccounting/lang and seems to be updated when I add new translation with POedit).

Inside poEdit, you can change the catalog setting for the project. Select 'Catalog' on the menu. Then select 'Settings'.... Change the project to fit your new es_NI. Save your project back with updated .po and .mo file.

I guess this should do it.

When you are ready, please share the project with us. We will then upload it to the global repository.

7Joe

I shall of course send you the files, if I succeed.  I have done as you suggested, added the language (.po and .mo files) manually in FA, however FA continues to mark the language as not installed. Just in case, I tried to open your "empty.po" and save it as es_NI and then install it, but that does not work either. I must obviously be missing something. So I guess I will have to revert to the Argentinean one and edit on that one.

Another thing is that there is quite a lot of text in English that can't be edited in  POedit.  I guess it is because I am working in FA 2.3.10 and the translations are from 2.3.0-1.

Ah, you must do a merge before you do the translations.

Look in the sticky topics about how to update the .po file with the latest empty.po file

Joe

Also you have to install proper locales on your ubuntu server. See here for more info.

I have sent you the updated translation files to contributions@frontaccounting.com.  They are in principle 100% translated and updated to FA version 2.3.10, but they are still defined as es_AR-2.3.0-1, as I am not smart enough to find out how to save them as es_NI-2.3.10 - but it would be nice if you can do that and post them on your site so other Latin Americans can use them and adapt them locally.

Translation prepared by Thornbjorn is already available from FA repository as es_NI language package. Thank you very much for your support .
Janusz