Topic: Recurring Journal Entry ... entry and posting function

It would be great to have an option to keep recurring journal entries in one "table" and be able to go in once a month, pull them up without having to re-enter everything, review them quickly and post them all.  The recurring journal entries get posted into the general ledger without the original pending batch being deleted ... it just sits and waits until next month when you want to go in and review and post again.

Re: Recurring Journal Entry ... entry and posting function

Really good idea to be included in FA2.4
Janusz

You'll want some sort of ID for each recurring journal so it's not just one big journal.  Most companies will have a recurring journal for Depreciation Expense, Amortization Expense, monthly expensing of annual insurance premiums etc...

Also, there are recurring journals where the amounts actually need to be changed ... more like a journal entry template.  I can imagine someone wanting to save the line items that make up their weekly payroll entry.  Each week, they can go in and pull up the entry and enter the appropriate amounts for the G/L accounts in the journal and post.  This would be a huge time saver!

I think the Quick Entries, in some repect, could be used for this.

7Joe

Some of the things us accountants would have in a Recurring Journal Entry could be handled via the Revenue / Cost Accrual option.  However, a Recurring Journal Entry would offer more flexibility and wouldn't post entries to future periods so far in advance.

The Revenue / Cost Accrual option can only debit one account and credit one account, this simplified one-to-one entry is not always the case.

If I was a programmer, this is what I would envision:

On the journal entry screen next to the Process Journal Entry button could be another button "Save Recurring Journal Entry". This would save the entry in an additional table (some reference ID would need to be saved with the line items so a recurring journal entry's pieces parts could be pulled up in the future).  Saving the Recurring Journal Entry wouldn't post the entry, the post would still happen as normal.

A new recurring journal entry table would mimick very closely the table that holds posted journal entries except for two additions ... a reference ID of some sort ... and a "date last posted" field.

A new transaction input form would be available on the General Ledger menu.  The screen could look just like the normal journal entry screen with the addition of a lookup for the saved Recurring Journal Entry.  The drop-down would show the reference ID / first so many characters of the memo field / date last posted.  You could change the amounts if necessary before posting.  When the recurring journal gets posted,  the "date last posted" field would be updated.  The date last posted should show somewhere on the screen (not editable by the user ... just so you know when it was posted last).

There would be three buttons at the bottom ... the normal Process Journal Entry button ... Save changes to Recurring Journal Entry button ... and one for Delete Recurring Journal Entry button.  The normal Process Journal Entry button would do exactly what it does to any normal journal entry ... posting the data to the general ledger.  The Save changes to Recurring Journal Entry button would update only the Recurring Journal Entry table lines for future entries.  The Delete Recurring Journal Entry button would remove the lines of the recurring journal only from the Recurring Journal Entry table.

Just bumping this discussion, would also love to see this feature.  I've got fairly solid PHP skills (Drupal background) and might even be interested in helping to code this, but not for a few months.

At the moment, I'm using the quick entries as a serviceable workaround.

A newer bump.....

... I have the same journals every week (for PAYG & Super for my employees)... would be great if I didnt have to recreate them every time....

Please consider using quick entries for this.

/Joe