Topic: Updating Tax Values, Old Values Lost

It seems there is no mechanism for recording old tax values.  I noticed this when I changed the Provincial Sales Tax (PST) value for 2012.  Then when I viewed OLD invoices, the new value was being used so the invoice no longer balances out.  So apparently, tax rates can only be set to a global rate.

So far, the problem seems only visual (such as viewing old invoices). Could this rate update have any adverse affects when making reports for last year?

It would be great if we could assign dates to tax values, much the same way exchange rates have dates.  I saw a suggestion on a different thread to create different tax groups for different dates.  But this would be quite convoluted and I don't really see it as a legitimate work-around. It would require admin of every customer (updating applicable tax) each time the tax changes.  For those with hundreds of customer, this seems out of the question. Furthermore, in Canada, where we have a tax for almost every province, changes happen often and the burden would be great.

Re: Updating Tax Values, Old Values Lost

Yes, this is great issue in current tax system. All tax rates should be defined with start-end dates. This is complex problem, as after the tax rates change we have still support both taxes in parallel for some time. This extension  still waits to be done.
Janusz