Topic: Managing Customisations to FA code

Just a general question.

How are people managing the customisations they make to the code so they can be applied to a new FA release with minimal effort?

[b]RodW[/b]
Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Re: Managing Customisations to FA code

Hi rodw,

Just share with you how I manage the source code in our development. Although most of the developers have their own preferences, you can use any tools to mange it. Let me share with you what I am using currently for developments.

My Linux Desktop:
1) Eclipse (IDE)
2) SVN (Source Code Version Control)
3) MySQL Client  Workbench (Database)
4) Fedora 15 (Desktop)
5) Meld (File/Directory comparison)

If you are running in Windows:
1) Eclipse (IDE)
2) SVN (Source Code Version Control)
3) MySQL Client  Workbench (Database)
4) Windows OS (Desktop)
5) WinMerge (File/Directory comparison)

Here how you can track your version control using Eclipse. I assume that your SVN is ready in Eclipse IDE. Right Click on any file  -> compare with -> Revision. You should see a list of the historical files that you have committed into SVN.

Alternatively, you can use Meld/WinMerge to compare it. Hope it help.

Cheers,

tclim

I personnaly use vim and git (and tig) (maybe I should switch to hg).
So to manage a FA release I just copy it to my current directory and discard then change which modify my customisations.

If you are familiar with git, that's pretty easy.

/Elax

Thanks, I might look at SVN and Eclipse for Windows. I also have Dreamweaver here so I'll look at that as well as it supports SVN and liv links to a server.

[b]RodW[/b]
Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Hi Elax,

I should into git and hg as well. Currently, we use SVN in our in-house development. I will take a look at git sometime later.

Hi RodW,

Yes, SVN support Dreamweaver as well as Eclipse.  You might need to take a look.

Cheers,

tclim

Hi tclim,

I used CVS and SVN for years and switched to GIT. I will never go back to SVN. To manage merges, diff between branches etc, reapplying some commits etc, GIT is amazing (you can't do anything similar with CVS or SVN). However hg seems to offers pretty much the same features as git so as front accounting is host with hg , I would go for hg. But switching to one of them is definitely worthing it

/Elax

I personally prefer git to manage multiply FA versions. As other developers work on windows we have decided to keep the code in Mercurial repository which seems to have better windows support. This decision requires me to use also git-hg extension. This is in fact one way integration (not very handy to push changes back to the repo), so I would advice just to use hg for new developers if you are not addicted to git as I am wink .
Janusz