Topic: Switch everything to UTF-8

There's no reason to manage multiple charsets. UTF-8 can encode every language under the sun, is supported by every browser that has been out for the past 15 years. Moving to UTF-8 would make everything simpler for both development and installation, and avoid nasty surprises for people who stick to the English version but need to display Euro symbol or other non-ASCII signs.

As such the MySQL tables should be also be built as UTF-8 (CREATE TABLE ... DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8) if this is not already the case.

Re: Switch everything to UTF-8

Hmm, is that so?

Hello,

I agree that FrontAccounting should change the current encoding characters to fully support multi-language by replacing all the 'iso-8859-1', 'iso-8859-2' or whatever to 'UTF-8'.

The impact was not only in MySQL but also in all PHP files that encoded with 'iso-8859-1' , 'iso-8859-2' etc.  The Chart of Accounts - COA, Language Packs, Themes available in FA repository.

If you are using Linux Desktop or Server. Simple search all the text using the command below:

grep -R -B3 -A4 "'iso-8859-1" /home/tclim/workspace/acct237

grep -R -B3 -A4 "'iso-8859-2" /home/tclim/workspace/acct237

There are hardcoded 'iso-8859-1', 'iso-8859-2' everywhere.

Please also download the dejavu.zip from FrontAccounting and patches into reporting/fonts folder to fully support UTF-8 for PDF viewer. Hence, FA now become a solid Online Accounting Software. This is just my 2 cents.  Hope it help. Thanks You.

Cheers,

tclim

I am in the same opinion of MartiCode and tclim.

5 (edited by Excellence 10/12/2011 08:41:25 am)

AND
i have same a problem with UTF-8 since long time

Hi All,

Greeting, I have spend for few days investigate the FrontAccounting "core" source code and trying to convert all COA into UTF-8. I have partially completed but need more testing from you all. Will you willing to help in testing? I will definitely release this code to the community. Hope to heard from you. Thanks You.

Cheers,

tclim

Hi All,

Thanks you for participate in FrontAccounting UTF-8 testing. I appreciate your works and effort. I have submitted the patches that I have done to Joe/Janusz. I hope that they will incorporate into the next release as soon. This will solved the problem arising and causing too many complaint about the encoding issue.

For those who are existing FrontAccounting users. You are encourage to upgrade to the new release  (hopefully they will released it together with this patches). If you don't want to wait for the next release. You can contact me at tclim@anterp.com. i will help you to convert your existing FrontAccounting package.

Cheers,

tclim