1. Call a new function : Ex. ShowGroupAccounts
    - Default : Show All Types/Accounts Sub Accounts
    - Select What Types/Groups Account to hide in the " Combo Box " Accounts
      Lists

2. Call function "gl_all_accounts_list" based on what returns the function
    ShowGroupAccounts

Advantage :

The main concept of this turn around is to provide a way to control any
Journal Voucher Data Entry Accounts Lists.

This will help to :
- develop unlimited web pages based on : gl_journal.php
- control the length of any Accounts List who may become annoying when the
  COA is too long

Example of a direct application (Embed a simple PAYROLL approach based on accountants view):

Type/Group Account : 60 Wages & Salaries

Accounts         : 60000 W & S General
                        60001 Empl_1
                        60002 Empl_2
                        60003 Empl_3
                        60004 Empl_4
                        ......... etc

Regards,

Khaled

Re: New Advanced Flexible Type/Group Accounts Feature

Hi,

I think, This can be well achieved in better way by a drill down balance sheet and P/L inquiry form (2 forms).

Inquiry form should initially display only main heads divided in Assets and Liability side. (Income and Expense for PL statement) It should in form of a horizontal balance sheet i.e. all Assets accounts groups on left side and Liabilities on right hand side.

By clicking on any group, we should be able to drill down to it's subgroups and direct accounts listing and so on.

Note - Please search 'Horizontal Balance Sheet Formats' for details.
A link for reference - http://basiccollegeaccounting.com/balance-sheet-example-what-is-the-horizontal-and-what-is-the-vertical-presentation-method-of-preparing-the-balance-sheet/

Thanks,

Chaitanya

I think this is a brilliant idea. Starting with the classes. Then the groups (types), Then the accounts and finally the transactions (with an option to look at the Journal Entry).
It could, as you say, be done in two parts. A BS and a PL.
I guess we need some kind of a Javascript helper to do that, right?

/Joe

4 (edited by Kalido 12/23/2009 06:49:09 am)

Hi,

I think we can reach the same Idea in a simpler way If we Control the way that gl_all_accounts_list display the ComboBox :

I suggest that if you can display the content of the ComboBox as a hierarchical tree with ( +/- ) sign at the right of the Group/Types level. So, when you click the ( + ) sign, it will expand its sub accounts & if you click the ( - ) it will hide them.

This will be Just a looks like : "Hierarchical Tree Menu" embedded in the ComboBox Accounts List where the Types=Level1 Menu & Accounts=Level2 Menu

In this case as an end user, you have a full control for Minimizing/Limiting the displayed accounts of the COA in the ComboBox.

By doing the approach like I suggest now, we won't need at all to modify the structure of the 0_chart_types table. And perhaps we escape from the complexity
who may cause.

Finally by searching the net, what I mentioned is known as a " Tree ComboBox "
you may see a demo example at this link :

http://demo.koolphp.net/Examples/KoolComboBox/Advances/With_TreeView/index.php

Practically, we will need only 2 levels :
- Type/Group Level & Accounts Level
- Class Levels will be an extra option. Generally it is not needed when working
  on data entry transactions

Khaled

5 (edited by chaitanya 12/23/2009 07:26:41 am)

Hi Joe,

The presentation could be simple as shown here.
Check this looks very handy - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balance_sheet#US_small_business_balance_sheet

The functionality could be just similar to trial balance.
On trial balance screen when one clicks on account code, all transaction are displayed.

Similar logic can be implemented.

On clicking on group, all subgroups and directly linked accounts will be displayed with balances.
And when we click on account code the transactions will come up as in case of trail balance.

This could be easily achieved as we already have many things ready for reuse.
We need to develop only an additional logic to have groups displayed along with the balance.

I would stress on horizontal balance sheet presentation at start. As it gives better understanding than vertical one.

If agreed when can we give it a go !

Thanks

Chaitanya

I think that you guys means different things here.
Khaled wants a combo selector where he only wants to see the accounts belonging to an expanded type (group) for easier selection, especially if the COA is very big.
And you Chaitanya wants a drill down BS or PL.
Both whishes seem to be fair. Only that the link you presented, Khaled, contains source that are proprietary (not open source).
We will have to rely on our JS expert, Janusz. Maybe he can find someting useful. Unfortunately he is very overloaded with business at present.
Maybe we can move this discussiont to the FA Wiki, Developers section, Wishlist and future development directions for next major releases.
We could then set the planning to go into release 2.3.

This discussion will be inside the current discussion.

/Joe

Hi,

I will change my discussion to Wiki.

Anyhow, I Found on the net, a free open sourced javascript tree menu which I hope it will helps :

File Download page :
http://www.softcomplex.com/products/tigra_tree_menu/download.html

Documentation Page :
http://www.softcomplex.com/products/tigra_tree_menu/docs/

/khaled