Topic: Sales Order Input Broken

The sales order input seems to be broken - typing in any item code & hitting TAB resets the item code to the 1st item in the list, doesn't fill in the price field & doesn't set the focus to the quantity field. I've tested in IE, Opera, Firefox & Safari (Safari doesn't process the Javascript at all) on Windows and Firefox & Opera on Linux.

I am currently working on migrating 6 companies from Sage Line 50 (versions 10 and 12) to FrontAccounting & expect to provide you with migration scripts & a Chart of Accounts for the UK as soon as I have it all working.

There appear to be other issues with the sales order input which I am still investigating - will provide more feedback as I discover what's going on.

Kind regards,

Steve Kitchen
Synthetic Intelligence Ltd.

Re: Sales Order Input Broken

Hello Steve,
The Item code field is a helper field for quickly entering the item. You should set 'Show Item code' in the Setup - Display Setup. If you do that you will see that the list to the right of the Item code field tries to follow your entry. The list field has the correct entry. As soon as you see it you can press the Tab key (or Enter key). If there is a price entered for the item and currency, it will now show up. All these entries require that javascript is enabled.
Sounds great, Steve, that you are sharing a chart of accounts for the UK in a while.
If everything is ok, the sales order entry should work without any problems. Please let us know, if you detect an unwanted behaviour .

/Joe

Hi Joe,

Yes, setting 'Show Item Codes' solves that problem, but the focus doesn't move to the quantity field when you hit the TAB key (suggest that TAB should do that & ENTER should submit the line, as this is the behaviour users expect to see).

I can confirm that the JS code doesn't work at all in Safari, but I wouldn't consider this critical at the moment.

Here's some additional comments received from the client who is test-driving FA & comparing it with Sage - your comments would be appreciated ...

---------------------------------------
'Hi Steve

I have been working through FrontAccounting again and have found a few more questions

In sale orders

When processing a sales order it does not tell you that an item is out of stock or that you do not have enough stock until you invoice. The delivery note is printed with the full figure that they ordered. This should be the qty we have on stock. It looks like we have to alter the qty manually when we invoice but you have to look in the inventory to see what stock you have and then go back to the invoice page to amend the qty and then select to put the remaining on back order. Can the computer not adjust this?

On sage it works where you enter a SOP then allocate the stock. It then shows as complete or part so you know there are backorders. On the delivery note sage shows qty ordered and qty sent in two separate columns so the customer knows that the products have been back ordered.

On sage we can also alter the qty that is allocated so if we want to only allocate a certain amount of product to a certain customer we can amend the amount of stock allocated. This is useful as sometimes we like to only backorder full carton qty’s for a particular customer to make it easier to process the back orders.

Is it possible to show the inventory levels in a box on the bottom left hand side for the item you are processing at that moment for instance if you are adding item 0010 when you go to description, then qty etc can it show the qty in stock and what is on order?

There does not seem to be anyway of showing that an order is incomplete when in the search sales orders.

How do you release a backorder?

Can we automatically number the backorders so that a backorder of SOP #1  is 1a and then if it is still not complete the next time a back order is release it is 1b etc. Hope you get what I mean.

Item

When you look at an item we need to know the cost price, the activity ie how many we have sold each month in total and a breakdown of the previous transactions as well as the qty on hand, qty on order, re order level.

Purchase order

When placing an order we need to know what is the shortfall ie the difference between the reorder level, amount on hand and any items backordered. Then we need to be able to create an order from the shortfall without inputting all the items.

SOP

Can we sort the data by customer # number , customer, date etc.

Backorder report

We will need to amend this - we only want the items that are being sent to the customer to appear on the report and not the entire order.

Will keep playing and let you know what I come up with.'
-----------------------------------------

FYI, I've done work with the webERP team in the past, so have a reasonable knowledge of the DB structure & logic. I expect that I will be doing quite a bit on FA in the coming months - will feed it back to you as it happens.

Kind regards,

Steve

Thanks for this contribution. Glad to see these suggestions. We can not guarantee that all these attributes will be implemented. Some of them are already in the planning stage.
FYI, if you set a variable in CONFIG.SYS, $loc_notification, to 1, an email notification is sent to the location email if the stock available is below the reorder-level. This require release 1.15. On every stock location, you can set an email adress.

Will take a closer look into this.

/Joe
PS. Are there any suggesitons about improment to the item reports etc.

Hi Joe,

Yes, I've already started writing an extended stock report - will email the module to you as soon as it's done.

Also, I need to revise the print layouts for invoices, purchase orders, sales orders & delivery notes - I expect this to be a common requirement as each company has their own style & layout. Maybe useful to have these as easily modifiable templates - it would certainly reduce the time needed to do a company setup. Your thoughts ?

Kind regards,

Steve

Hello Steve,
I agree on that it would be nice to change the layout of the documents. But as we do not have a report generator, we have to think smart. As you mention, it could be an approach to have some editable templates to work from. Something like ini-files where we could place the coordinates in millimeters (or px's). And of course an add-on module for editing/creating such templates. And see instantly how these templates looks like in PDF.
And of course we should be able to select the various templates somewhere.
Well, we have to think a bit more, before starting with this, but it would be a real improvement to the system

/Joe

Hi Joe,

I've been looking at the Symfony framework (www.symfony-project.org) recently - there's a nice plugin for it that can use OpenOffice documents as templates to generate output (various types including PDFs & Word docs). I'll be testing the process over the next couple of weeks.

Their AJAX code is pretty cute too ...

Regards,

Steve

Yes, that could reveal some smart things. Though, we will not implement a framework for doing this, but we could probably find some way of doing it.
Regarding the AJAX, we have already worked on that and found a good script with very small footprint. You can take a look here for a very early example:
https://frontaccounting.com/grid/sample16.php. It is our plan to implement AJAX in release 2.0. It will require a lot of rewrite of the code and probably make it even better.

/Joe

Hi Joe,

I write also my own cms system and host that for my customers. I found a problem in using ajax. You can debug the future errors by testing your versions on IE 6 & 7 (still supported by ms) and firefox 2.x. Please test it because it will save you a lot of trouble shooting in the future.

If you need help with testing, give me a yell.

Greetz,

Henk.

Hi, joe

joe wrote:

You can take a look here for a very early example:
https://frontaccounting.com/grid/sample16.php.
/Joe

Is it really so early that it's simply not existing ? wink

www.frontaccounting.com wrote:

Not Found
The requested URL /grid/sample16.php. was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.37 Server at www.frontaccounting.com Port 80

Regards
janusz

The dot was mistakenly included. Here is the link again
https://frontaccounting.com/grid/sample16.php . wink

Looks pretty smile. Some fast remarks:
1) Mozilla 1.7.8:
After click on view/edit icons in last column new window is broken: record data is presented out of the window on the right. All other seems to work fine.
2) Konqueror 3.3.2 seems to be not usable on this page. There is a lot of faults which source can be at browser, not the page code. I do not trust Konqueror at all.

Is FA 2,0 source code based on any template engine ?

Regards
janusz

I am running ver 2.1.1 and in sales order entry the Prices are not updating when I select an item or change price lists

I do have JavaScript enabled

could it be a config setting?

I do have 'Show Item code' enabled

tom

Set base pricelist in company settings to enable automatic price calculations and check if company/x/js_cache folder is writable.
Janusz

Base for auto price calculations:    

That was it, thanks