Topic: Importing Deposits and Journal Entries

Hi guys,

My organization regularly receives deposit / journal entry information via CSV files, which we'd formerly been importing automatically into our old accounting package.

I know that FrontAccounting has an import module available, but it's more complicated than our users need.  Here's the type of thing I'm thinking of:

1) Under Banking and General Ledger > Transactions have two more links: "Import Deposit" and "Import Journal Entry".
2) Both of these links would contain a simple file selection dialog.
3) After pressing the submit button, these (CSV) files would be parsed and placed into a Deposit or Journal Entry dialog.
4) The user would confirm that the information is correct, making any necessary changes, and then process the deposit/journal entry.

This would save a lot of manual reentry, and I'm thinking that this wouldn't be difficult to implement.  I'd be happy to do it myself, though I want to see what you guys thought first.

Thanks for your excellent work and for any feedback!

~Tom

Re: Importing Deposits and Journal Entries

Tom,
This is a typical situation for an import module. You could have a selector for the import type.
Look into import customers and/or import items to get the idea and to see a typical page layout.
I am sure such an import module will be of interest to others. I hope you will do it.

/Joe

Well look at that smile  I'd missed the item/customer import stuff.  Very nice!  I'll use those as models and get to work on this right away.

Thanks Joe!

Joe & all,

I've put together an import module for journal entries/deposits/payments that I'd love for you to look at.  This one works a little differently than the items/customer import modules in that it doesn't automatically import everything, but rather stores the imported data in the $_SESSION variable and then loads the journal entry/deposit/payment entry screen.  This way the information can be reviewed and date/reference/memo data can be filled in before making the entry.  This fits with the needs of my organization, and hopefully will help others too!

I also went ahead and created a budget entry import module as well, and this one does work more like the items/customer import modules.  (It just reloads the page and tells you how many entries were imported.)

I'd be happy to share both of these (in zip format) with you to review.  How should I get them to you?

~Tom

Hello Tom,
I think this is good information for a lot of FA users over there smile. I will contact you by email.
Janusz

Hello,

How to modify this extension to pass -- date/reference/memo from CSV ?
Is it possible to do this ?

Thanks

Chaitanya

Hi chaitanya,

This extension can't do that, but I actually have another extension about ready which will do this easily.  I should be able to get to packing this within the next few days.

~Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for responding and sharing this great news !
Eagerly waiting for it.

With Regards

Chaitanya

This extension has now been uploaded to the Website, Download - Modules section.

/Joe

Hi Joe,

This is really very quick and enlightening response !
This is exactly what I am looking for and you guys made it available in no time.

With Regards

Chaitanya