1 (edited by boxygen 08/23/2018 10:25:39 pm)

Topic: Installation of a VPS (Virtual Private Server)

I am writing this post just to share my experiences so that any newbie, non IT professional, can gets benefit from this.

When we talk about Installation of FA, we are generally not assuming the installation of any server. Since FA is very light weight and it can easily run on Shared Hosting so the users don't need any VPS. But sometimes for better performance and for critical users one need to have a VPS.

The worst thing about VPS, that I faced as a Non IT professional, is that hosting companies don't take the total responsibility of a VPS's uptime. It is only you who has to take care of all aspects of VPS.

For this reason I was prolonging the use of a VPS. But finally when it became inevitable for me I met @fernando_bender one of the members of FA community and founder of myERPlink.com. I found him very well versed in Server Management. He offers complete server support. So people like me who want to focus on their core business like consultancy can hire his services at a very reasonable prices.

For server security I spent hours on internet to know how to get my linux server secured (Not SSL). I found this articl http://billpatrianakos.me/blog/2014/07/ … right-now/ very helpful in this regard.

I would like to mention few steps that any newbie can follow.

1. Buy a Blank VPS, preferably with Debian OS
2. Install VestaCP.com a very light weight GUI. This install will automatically install all related services
3. Use above article to secure your server
4. Start using it after installing FA.

I would be sharing my further experiences good or bad in using the VPS in the same post.

Thanks to FA Community smile

www.boxygen.pk

Re: Installation of a VPS (Virtual Private Server)

I've been using VPS(s) for about 10 years and mostly I've had good experience with up-time. Of course, I am an experienced sys-admin. The only service I found that was really bad; very poor up-time (down for over 8 hours in the first month), and take no responsibility for their end of keeping the server running (e.g. network connectivity, container integrity), was HostWinds. They advertise 99.999% up-time, but it means nothing the way they define up-time.

I agree that setting up and managing a VPS requires knowledge and time. I could not survive without a reliable VPS. The alternative would be to build a mini-data center near my office and pay for the hardware, the building, the air-conditioning, hardware maintenance, off-site backups, and the Internet pipe. A VPS is really a good deal, if you require a dedicated server and you find an honest, reliable hosting company.

I'll have to look into VestaCP. Thanks for the tip.

@oakstreet1 which HostingProvider are you using?

www.boxygen.pk

I have my company VPS with Jumpline