1 (edited by tom 05/18/2009 10:44:03 am)

Topic: Work Order Flow

Why do work orders complete immediately?

When I think of a Work Order I envision it be be like issuing a PO to the production floor which will cause them to
build the widget and when done deliver them into inventory, which would close the work order.

So far the flow is fine, with one exception... there is no time delay between issuing the work order and it being completing...

If there was an "In Process" state then we could have a Work In Progress report that we could give to manufacturing to tell them what work needs to be done.

or am I missing something?

additionally...

We could then allow work orders to be entered that create a demand greater than our stock level.
Of course, the work order could not be closed until there was sufficient stock.

Sales Orders create demand on goods that can be purchased or manufactured
Work Orders create demand on goods that are purchased

tom

Re: Work Order Flow

tom wrote:

Why do work orders complete immediately?

That's an 'Assemble' type of WO

'Advanced Manufacture' does have steps...

I am still looking at the side effects of work orders to see how Purchasing can see shortages in Raw Materials needed by manufacturing...

tom

Yes, Tom, simple assembling does all the steps in one sweep.

/Joe

It would help a lot if manufacturing/work_order_entry.php had an Item Code input.

Right now the only way to select an item to manufacture is the pull-down

Also why does line 328 have $dec = 0; thereby forcing the quantities to be whole numbers?
Why not use the decimal places of the UOM of the item we're manufacturing?

tom

Hi Tom,
This has been fixed and the CVS Main trunk is updated.
The reason for the $dec = 0 is that the $dec is added as a reference in get_qty_dec. The $dec is updated during this call.
The quantity decimals now follows the item selected.
When entering the Item Code through the Input box, you must tab through the combobox selector to get the decimals updated.

/Joe