Topic: Login via URL?

Thanks in advance for any help.  Is it possible to login by adding username and password to a URL?  I want to get some data into Excel using Excel's web query feature but Excel gets redirected to the login screen.  Excel needs its own login session.  Is this possible?

2 (edited by kensoftwares 05/06/2016 11:58:55 am)

Re: Login via URL?

Hi,

What you need is an odbc driver for mysql . connect to excell with the  odbc and get the information from fa database.

Tell me if it works

Hi Ken..  Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I am a bit familiar with that strategy.  I will try that if there is no simpler approach.  All I need for now is the data from the customer and supplier inquiry pages which I modified slightly in the code to default to exactly the way I need.  All I need is the webpage in excel and I can use the data on any platform.  Using ODBC requires more configuration and is less portable. 

So still wondering about my original question whether or not there is a way to skip the login or put it in the URL.

Thanks

Just looking around and found a post about how curl can use the login fields to pass username and password:

curl -F 'user_name_entry_field=<username>' -F 'password=<password>' -F 'company_login_name=<company number>' url

I don't even really understand what curl is but wondering if there's a way to use those field names in the url in the same way.

appelm wrote:

Just looking around and found a post about how curl can use the login fields to pass username and password:

curl -F 'user_name_entry_field=<username>' -F 'password=<password>' -F 'company_login_name=<company number>' url

I don't even really understand what curl is but wondering if there's a way to use those field names in the url in the same way.

Curl allows you to script a browser session from the command line. The snippet above logs in and creates a session. Once there is a session, the script could load a particular page and insert the data into the appropriate form fields before submitting the form.

It should be possible to call such a script from Excel with the appropriate parameters. As long as the form in question doesn't use AJAX, it should work.

Oh... You were trying to get data out of FA?

In that case, you'd be better off with a simple php script reading from the database directly. No need for ODBC, either. Just make sure you filter/escape all strings before embedding them into your SQL query.