Topic: Registration of complex invoice

Hi all.

I have the following problem and need some advise on how to correctly input into FA.

Let's say that I have a supplier (ABC) which is a supermarket.

I buy from such supplier cleaning items and mineral waters.

I then receive the invoice from the supplier.

Let's say, for the example, that I bought 100 USD of cleaning stuff and 100 USD of bottled water.

None of the two items I bought need to be recorded into my inventory.

The cleaning material will be used to clean the floor while mineral water will be available for employees for their use.

What I need is to correctly input the invoice.

I will have ONE reference number for the supplier's invoice (e.g. their invoice number)
I will have line 1 of the invoice showing 100 USD for cleaning material
I will have line 2 of the invoice showing 100 USD for bottled water

cleaning material have to be assigned to a certain account in my COA
bottled water will have to be assigned to a different account in my COA

I will then have the total of the taxable amount (200 USD) on top of which FA will show the amount of VAT (in my case 22%)
I will then have a total invoice of 244 USD.

Currently, I cannot find a way to easily divide the 200 USD into two lines each for 100 USD and each with its COA account number as a counterpart.

How do I do it?

I am no accountant but I must presume that such a usual situation has been already encountered and solved in FA.

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated since, at the moment, the only possibility I face is to write a lot of code if such regiatration were not feasible.

Best to everybody and thanks for the efforts.

Carlo

Re: Registration of complex invoice

Maybe you can use the sales kit for gathering the lines or a simple assembly.
Please elaborate with this on a training company.

Joe

Thanks for the prompt reply, Joe.

I believe that this is a bit more complex and that using a sales kit will not solve the issue.

Let me dig a bit on the subject.

If I correctly understood the logic behind FA, this is the current scenario:

For each supplier you assign a purchase account from the COA.

Each document (invoice) received from that supplier will assign that account in GL, correct?

In general, you have items for which you want to have an inventory available and items for which you do not care.
For those for which you don't need inventory, the simplest of solution is to create a generic editable item under services.
This way inventory will not be involved.

I know for a fact that you cannot assign multiple purchase accounts to the same purchase invoice, because that piece of information is related to the document and not to each individual item you buy (unless you use inventory).

The best solution would be to have a piece of information for each line of the invoice where you could edit the Purchase account selected from the COA, using the predefined one with the supplier as a default.

This, though, would imply recording the purchase account somewhere with the detail of the purchase document details.

That is not yet implemented in the DB and I know that you are somehow reluctant to change the DB structure, unless absolutely necessary.

The goal is to "desctructure" each purchase because, expecially with generic suppliers, you may buy several items each belonging to a different category (e.g. different Purchase account in the COA).

The example I provided was the extreme one.

From a supermarket you can buy thousands of items each potentially belonging to a different category and therefore to a different kind of use and, therefore, subjected to be recorded with its COA purchase account (also to check budgets, etc.)

Frankly I think that there is no alternative to "re-write" part of the code in order to reflect a solution for this but that will imply modifying the DB structure.

Prior to doing this, I was wondering if you had already devised a solution for such a common task in accounting.

Any viable hint will be more that welcome.

Once and if solved I will be glad to provide the altered code for your review, naturally.

Best,

Carlo

Would not general categorization of the Items available in FA be sufficient for reporting purposes?