Topic: One installation with multiple subdomain

I've installed FA on a web server with a domain. Now I want to use single installaton on multiple sudomains under the mother domain. Is that possible to assign multiple sub domain against one installation? If so, how can I do that?

Experts pleaase help. Thanks in advance.

Re: One installation with multiple subdomain

I think the easiest way is to use a redirect from your subdomain to the main domain and not to make separate installations. Create a .htaccess file with the following text and upload it to de mainfolder of your subdomain:

Redirect /directorynameofthesubdomain http://www.yourdomain.nl/maindirectoryofmaindomain

Not sure why you want subdomains, but assuming you want to provide access to different companies under different subdomains (client1.domain.tld, client2.domain.tld etc.) I think it would be best to install separate FA instances, configuring each with a separate database.

If you'd rather use one database with multiple companies, you should be able to point all the subdomains to the same FA instance and edit the login page to select the company based on the URL of the request. That would probably expose the other companies through the backup script, though. Not to mention the mess that you would face if one client decided to restore the entire database, overwriting whatever had been entered by the other clients.

For a really complicated solution, you might be able to share the code through some file system trickery, while keeping separate configuration files. But that would most likely end up being more confusing than anything else.

Unless you had enough clients/companies to justify the effort, I would go with separate instances.

4 (edited by apmuthu 12/27/2013 04:09:32 pm)

1. Create an FA instance in one folder not allocated to any domain.
2. Symlink the files and folders to each of the domains' web roots.
3. Keep a separate database and config file in each domain web root folder.
4. Keep a separate company folder for each company in each domain but keep the default company 0 symlinked in all domains so as to be able to administer it from each domain as well.
5. Make necessary entries in each domain's virtual host fragments
6. Make an archive of all symlinked files for rapid creation of FA instance in each new domain.

This can be the basis for an FA Farm.

Thanks to all for your resoureceful and advice about this topic. This post will help me a lot to take the right decision.

Good luck to all and wishing all of  you a great year 2014.