Topic: my own modifications

Hi there

I've done a couple of customisation to FA and my version is getting further and further from the original one.
So here is a list of the modification I made, and I would like know which will of any interests for the community and eventually if anybody would like to help to tidy up some bit (if some of the features were to be moved in FA).

- Sales order list :
* sort item by stock_id when displaying cart
* allow order to be sorted by customer (and other) in order list.
- Order Delivery
* add clear quantity button, so the default quantity to dispatch to 0. (usefull when you need to dispatch only a bit from a big order).
* set the initial quantity to dispatch to what is availabe. What is available depend on what other people have order (priority according to order date). I will extract this to a module to allow priority per item.
* sort item by stock_id when displaying cart.
* Add 'ALL location' in stock movement to see all moves between location. (UI needs tidying up).

- Stock
* Add "weights" to locations. Those weights are used to weigh quantity on hand and on demand. This allow for example to have a lost location (item 'lost' won't count as in stock) or order in 'to cancel' location, doesn't count as on demand.
This used mainly by the 'available' feature on order delivery, but could be extended to FA report.

* filter items  in stock check sheet report using regexp or like expression. Needs SQL injection protection.

- Trial Balance
"Clear" the initial balance difference  due previous year.
For example if initial balance (of the year)  for the stock is 120000 | 100000
display 20000 | 0 instead.

* Use readable name for some reports. This is need when you need to send an order, a statement or invoice to a customer.
The normal workflow is export the report (save it) , and attach it in the email. However, whith mangled name, it's easy to send the wrong invoice to the wrong customer.
According to JOE that's a security issue (and I agree) but I need to be able to save a report with a different name (and if possible a pre generated one).

* filter invoice report per customer (usefull when a customer want you to send all the invoice). However, the UI is at the moment a bit clamby (because I can't filter the 'from' and 'to' invoice by customer).

etc ...

So if you could let me know, which feature you need and deserve to be integrated in FA.

/Elax

2 (edited by apmuthu 04/26/2013 03:17:47 am)

Re: my own modifications

If you can provide individual patches for each suggested feature with order of patch application, it might be easy for Joe/Janusz to incorporate them.
Alternatively, fork from either the original Git or my GitHub repo and make a branch for yourself and a branch for each feature arising out of the master and update the code base to reflect the real HG default. Then merge the changes to your personal branch whilst restricting merging with the master till the main code base is updated with it.
That way you will be able to maintain your personal branch and merge in cherry-pick mode - I'm still learning the ropes with a more evolved project that OpenEMR is in this regard.

Before creating all the individual patches (it's quite a bit for work), I would be interested in knowing which one people like and have a good chance to be accepted and the ones which will be rejected (because to specific to my needs).

/Elax

Other than Report and Trial balance, the others should be okay.

That's strange, I would have thought the opposite.

Anway, could people tell me which stuff they are interested in ?

Try this at first as someone asked for it in the forums a few months ago:

- Order Delivery
* add clear quantity button, so the default quantity to dispatch to 0. (usefull when you need to dispatch only a bit from a big order).

or better still just make addons / extensions of each set of features or the whole bunch as Elax Apps in a separate menu tab.

apmuthu wrote:

Try this at first as someone asked for it in the forums a few months ago:

- Order Delivery

or better still just make addons / extensions of each set of features or the whole bunch as Elax Apps in a separate menu tab.

I think it was me ;-)

I thought of the module approach but pretty much all  the modification have mentioned are hard to extract to a module because most of them are small enhancement of the actual GUI.

Anyway, as I can see that nobody is interested in any of the my features, it's probably not worth wasting time on trying to integrate them into FA.

/Elax

Getting your patches integrated into the core of FA along with config flags if necessary will ensure that you will have those changes faithfully carried over to future installs without having to maintain a separate repo and making incremental changes on diff-by-diff basis each time the master changes.

For me following features are generic enough to be included in core FA:

elax wrote:

- Sales order list :
* allow order to be sorted by customer (and other) in order list.
- Order Delivery
* set the initial quantity to dispatch to what is availabe. What is available depend on what other people have order (priority according to order date). I will extract this to a module to allow priority per item.
* Add 'ALL location' in stock movement to see all moves between location. (UI needs tidying up).

- Stock
* filter items  in stock check sheet report using regexp or like expression. Needs SQL injection protection.

-* filter invoice report per customer (usefull when a customer want you to send all the invoice). However, the UI is at the moment a bit clamby (because I can't filter the 'from' and 'to' invoice by customer).

Other things:

* sort item by stock_id when displaying cart

This cannot be done in transaction viewers (the view should display cart 'as is'), and probably would be rarely used during cart ediiton. But if implemented carefully (some small icon ui control with tabindex=-1 to not encumber keyboard entry) it could be accepted.

* Add "weights" to locations. Those weights are used to weigh quantity on hand and on demand. This allow for example to have a lost location (item 'lost' won't count as in stock) or order in 'to cancel' location, doesn't count as on demand.
This used mainly by the 'available' feature on order delivery, but could be extended to FA report.

I'm not sure I understand the idea right, but if you mean some flag (checkbox) in location catalogue, which would exclude this location as available for sales, this is good idea.

- Trial Balance
"Clear" the initial balance difference  due previous year.
For example if initial balance (of the year)  for the stock is 120000 | 100000
display 20000 | 0 instead.

Not acceptable I think. For some types of accounts this is important whether the balance is one or two sided.

* Use readable name for some reports. This is need when you need to send an order, a statement or invoice to a customer.
The normal workflow is export the report (save it) , and attach it in the email. However, whith mangled name, it's easy to send the wrong invoice to the wrong customer.

This should be rather solved by better support for sending invoices by email to customer (when you use direct invoice mailing you have no need to save the report file on the server). We should have at least email templates implemented, as currently hardcoded template is not reday for serious usage.

Janusz

10 (edited by p2409 09/08/2013 07:37:37 am)

Hi Elax

I've made a couple of comments on your changes.

1. Report Naming
It would be nice if the reports were named according to a system you set eg.
COMPANY_DOCUMENT_NAME_DATE or something eg.
ABC_Enterprises_Invoice_10DEC2013.pdf
This would be my favourite change.

2. Stock Weights
Sounds useful to different sorts of companies.

3. filter invoice report per customer
Good idea, not a huge issue for me, but I can see the use of this.

The others I didn't really see as improvements, more just customisation for a site.

I agree with the others on the Trial Balance. I don't think it's correct accounting with the approach you took. I would definitely not support changing the current trial balance process.

I've got my own list of mods that I'd be happy for people to comment on (I've posted a few things on the forum about these: search p2409)

Comment field increased size.
Converted all database comment fields into MEDIUM_TEXT (larger). A few screens were also changed to view the large comments field, as was the invoice report.

Transaction Days Setting
Created a new setting 'Transaction Days'. This lets your set the default 'date from' to something like -365 (for last year). At the moment, it's hardcoded to -30 days. I've posted a topic to the forum on how to do this: see
Transaction Days Setting mod

Default Report Font
Changed default font to one called 'tuffy' which is narrower, and more modern.

Customer Transactions Selection Filter
Made new selection filter option for customer transactions (Invoices AND Delivery Notes)