Topic: Customer Setup

When I disable to auto create customer branch, I do not get option to enter tax group ID. Is this a bug? Also you can't enter phone, fax, email.

I've been looking at debtor_master table which do not store important parameters for the main customer (a branch of the company should come under the main company header) I think we need information like phone (main company, branch can have their own different number stored in table cust_branch), fax, email, tax group id, default GL accounts, etc at master table level. In can you do not want to have branches for your customer, you really cannot use sales module.

I can't find master/child relation between table crm_persons and either debtor_master or cust_branch.

Re: Customer Setup

When you have disabled branch auto creation, you have to entry all the parameters on separate screen i.e. during customer branch creation.

Janusz

Hi Janusz

I created a customer with auto branch creation on. Then I deleted the branch and tried to check the parameter like phone, email, fax, tax group, etc but nothing gets stored at the customer header level. All these are stored at branch level which I think should be stored at header level. After deleting the branch, I created a sales invoice for this customer but the system did not calculate VAT as it didn't find tax group id as it is stored at branch level. It didn't allow me to post sales invoice with message "This customer has no branch defined."

After that trial, I changed config file to not to create auto branch. When you create new customer, there is no option to enter phone, fax, email,etc. There is no option to assign tax group id to this customer. I think this could be a bug.

My suggestion is to store all parameters at head customer level and branches should have their own parameter as they are being stored now. By default, branch should inherit tax group id for head customer id.

Thanks

As per your suggestion, once you have created a customer without a branch, you are not able to

The switch in config.php decides whether the branch record is created automatically for new customer, or you preffer to enter it manually. Anyway you have to cretae at least one branch record, otherwise the customer is unusable. This is because the taxation does not depends on a legal company registration address, but on where the real business activity is performed. Then it have to be selected on branch, not customer level.

Janusz

Wikiied it.

Hi

I thought so. I think the switch should be removed as it makes customer setup completely wrong.

Thanks

I don't think so. Branch setup contains much more parameters than those visible on new Customer screen in auto mode. Anybody who want to have full control over branch settings during customer/branch creation will have the switch set to off.  This is how the application was used over the years from the begining.

Janusz

I will tend to agree with dvarsani to some extent. Tax rules vary from country to country and where taxation depends on company registered address (as compared to place of activity) the branch concept becomes superfluous.

I would suggest that FA should give an option whether to select BRANCH or not.

Backwards compatibility dictates the default switch setting - not "common-sense" to even many users. The config variables are listed with their functionality in the Wiki quite explicitly, but a note in the setting up wiki page will now possibly address this issue.