Topic: 2.3.8 Upgrade Problem

Hi All,

We're experiencing an issue when trying to upgrade to 2.3.8 from 2.3.7. The webserver im using is Debian 5 x64, with apache 2.2.9 and PHP 5.2.6.

When i overwrite the files on the webserver with the new version (to upgrade it), the site just gives a blank white page when you visit the URL. However, in the apache error_log, i get the following errors:

[Wed Nov 16 15:38:00 2011] [error] [client 196.44.*.*] 0::session.inc:297: Non-static method SessionManager::sessionStart() should not be called statically
[Wed Nov 16 15:38:00 2011] [error] [client 196.44.*.*] 0::session.inc:28: Non-static method SessionManager::validateSession() should not be called statically
[Wed Nov 16 15:38:00 2011] [error] [client 196.44.*.*] 0::session.inc:31: Non-static method SessionManager::preventHijacking() should not be called statically
[Wed Nov 16 15:38:03 2011] [error] [client 196.44.*.*] 0::session.inc:297: Non-static method SessionManager::sessionStart() should not be called statically
[Wed Nov 16 15:38:03 2011] [error] [client 196.44.*.*] 0::session.inc:28: Non-static method SessionManager::validateSession() should not be called statically
[Wed Nov 16 15:38:03 2011] [error] [client 196.44.*.*] 0::session.inc:31: Non-static method SessionManager::preventHijacking() should not be called statically

I have found bug 0001173 on mantis.frountaccounting.com, and have tried the new session.inc file, which does not make a difference, and you just get a blank white page...however, the PHP errors above, do not appear in the error log.

I have turned on PHP display_errors, and have set $go_debug to 1 in the config.php..but no errors come up at all. i have double checked file permissions on the server, and i can confirm that the site does work when i restore the 2.3.7 files into webroot folder.

any help would be much appreciated.

Re: 2.3.8 Upgrade Problem

I have the same problem after upgrade....
Same situation and same errors in error log.
And I also getting also blank page.

This is strange. We solved a lot of problems when making the class Session Manager non-static in /includes/session.inc.
But some of you still report the same problem after the fix.
Can anyone help tracing these errors, please?

/Joe

What information You need?

facing the same problem.
PHP 5.2.14

I have PHP 5.3.8

ahh, for a minute i thought it was just me experiencing these issues.

@joe, sure i wouldnt mind helping trace this.. the only problem is that there isnt much verbosity happening with the errors even with debug flags set to 1.

Hello,
I haven't upgraded yet to 2.3.8 regarding this an other of bugs I've seen in the buck tracker, my question is the following :
Is 2.3.8 stable and is it safe to migrate or should I better wait a bit ?

thx

Version 2.3.8 is considered stable, however you can wait a while. Seems we will have to release next version soon.
I personally use patched 2.3.8 version on Debian Linux  with php 5.3.3 without any problems.
When release 2.3.8 is used with patch attached to mentioned mantis report all should work right. If you still encounter white page problem - clean your browser cache.

Janusz

this is not browser cache problem

Try the following to help us trace ev. bug.

Go into file /includes/session.inc.

1. Comment out line 297 and 298 by setting // in front of the lines. Save and try again. If you are still having problem, we should try to find the problem elsewhere and you can stop trace the Session Manager. Otherwise continue.
2. Take away the comment signs in line 297 and 298. Comment out line 37 and line 43. If you are still having problem,
uncomment the lines and try to comment out other member function calls. Sooner or later you should trace the problem.

Good luck.

/Joe

joe wrote:

Try the following to help us trace ev. bug.

Go into file /includes/session.inc.

1. Comment out line 297 and 298 by setting // in front of the lines. Save and try again. If you are still having problem, we should try to find the problem elsewhere and you can stop trace the Session Manager.

/Joe

No luck with 297 and 298 - still the same blank page.

Thanks, try to comment out other lines nearby in /includes/session.inc. Sooner or later we will know where the problems are.

/Joe

Addendum: patched version 2.3.8 works right also on Ubuntu 11.04 just installed on my laptop.
Janusz

itronics wrote:

Addendum: patched version 2.3.8 works right also on Ubuntu 11.04 just installed on my laptop.
Janusz

Are you able to try and upgrade from an existing 2.3.7 installation with existing companies, and verify if all is okay?
i can also confirm that clearing browser cache doesnt work.

joe wrote:

Thanks, try to comment out other lines nearby in /includes/session.inc. Sooner or later we will know where the problems are.

/Joe

I can test it at weekend.
Right now I installed back 2.3.7 and it works fine.

Please look at this thread for ev. solutions. By liahsheep.

https://frontaccounting.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=2546

/Joe