Topic: Development Environment?

I am new to PHP, but have experience with programming in several other languages (c flavors, basic flavors, FORTRAN, LISP,APL---I think I'm showing my age).  We wish to poke around at the code so as to better understand what is going on--seem to have a little problem with the inventory status item not showing results--, but that may be because we modified a field width to get longer inventory locations and we probably missed something.

Can anyone recommend a development environment or debugger to use for debugging the PHP code?

Re: Development Environment?

Welcome to Front Accounting and I am quite new to FA too. I have study FA code and have been trying to hack the code for quite some time. Before you can do this, you should understand how FA works.

To debug FA, you can change the parameters in the file config.php which is located in your frontaccounting folder.

You may change the following parameters to suite your debugging need. 1 mean activated, 0 mean inactive.

$error_logfile = dirname(__FILE__).'/tmp/errors.log';
    $debug             = 1;    // show sql on database errors

$show_sql         = 1;    // show all sql queries in page footer for debugging purposes
    $go_debug         = 0;    // set to 1 for basic debugging, or 2 to see also backtrace after failure.
    $pdf_debug         = 0;    // display pdf source instead reports for debugging when $go_debug!=0
    // set $sql_trail to 1 only if you want to perform bugtracking sql trail
    // Warning: this produces huge amount of data in sql_trail table.
    // Don't forget switch the option off and flush the table manually after
    // trail, or your future backup files are overloaded with unneeded data.
    //
    $sql_trail         = 1; // save all sql queries in sql_trail
    $select_trail     = 0; // track also SELECT queries

if you activate the $sql_trail = 1, you can check and verify the sql query in the folowing table:
   1) 0_sql_trail

You can also copy and paste the sql script from your browser and execute it in MySQL command line.

Hope it help...

Re: Development Environment?

AndrewE wrote:

Can anyone recommend a development environment or debugger to use for debugging the PHP code?

Hi Andrew.
I use Netbeans (Mac version) with xdebug which works really well, and is free.