Topic: SKU

Are we able to add an SKU or barcode field to inventory items that is searchable. Just having one code to search by is limiting.

Thanks

Re: SKU

At present we search on Item ID, Category or Description (part or all). This is when the No Item List is checked in the Company Setup. We have no fields for SKU or barcode either at present. Do anybody else need this? We are open for discussion.

/Joe

Not yet, but anyone who uses this system for retail will want is sooner then later.

I am just now starting to test the system for retail.

"The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet."  - Aristotle.

I too would like to test for use in retail/wholesale situation and would be happy to help in anyway I can

5 (edited by t2webby 06/24/2008 04:10:32 am)

Yes I have unique skus that  I would like to have for inventory as well.

Hi t2webby,

What is the reader interface? What do you need on program side to have barcode scanner working?

Janusz

This is were we need to use openbravoPOS, check it out at sorceforge.

I am willing to contribute some donations for this. We will need to find a java developer to help make it a module for FA.

Let me know what you think?

AM

8 (edited by t2webby 06/26/2008 09:36:52 pm)

i'm not looking for reading interfaces yet per say, although would be nice for the future. I was just talking about having a custom extra field in when adding new inventory, cause I have UPC codes on the products and would like to put the code as reference with the item in the system. Would be neat to have a barcode converter. Is it possible to add custom fields to inventory other than having to do it through hardcode?

Hi Alvin,

I don't know java enough to help integrate an openbravo with FA. I personally have bad experience with java ERP applications which seems to be slow, stiff and very time consuming at development stage. Often also simply buggy.
But I wll look into openBravo in mean time, maybe this is not the case wink.

Janusz

Hi t2webby

Currently we have no custom field implemented (with one small exception of company record), so it should by coded by hand. This is not so hard (basically items.php and items_db.inc), but to be usable it should be used/displayed also somewhere on sales and/or purchase module pages and used in item searchable list functions (ui_lists.inc).

Janusz

itronics wrote:

Hi Alvin,

I don't know java enough to help integrate an openbravo with FA. I personally have bad experience with java ERP applications which seems to be slow, stiff and very time consuming at development stage. Often also simply buggy.
But I wll look into openBravo in mean time, maybe this is not the case wink.

Janusz

Hello Janusz

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to the forum.

I want to make clear that it is openbravoPOS we are interested in, not openbravo the erp system.

I think a bit of java code will be needed to communicate between FA and peripherals like bar code scanners, scales for weighting products, cash drawers, magnetic card readers, receipt printers, etc.

A link to there features http://www.openbravo.com/product/pos/product-features/

The project i am working on right now needs barcode support, but i think i will just use the barcode number as Item ID, is there any problem in doing that ?

Allan

I helped with the documentation on OpenBravoPOS back when it was TinaPOS .07 or so (I think last version I used was .09X)
If you have a wedge scanner, there doesn't need to be any "barcode support" built into an application.  It's between the keyboard and computer, and whenever it reads a code, it automatically "types" what the barcode says.  Works in POS apps, Microsoft Word, etc.

Hello All

craigbass76 is correct about this barcode scanner he talks of.  It is a hand held scanner with a stand if you want.  It uses what we call a keyboard wedge, like he stated it is a Y cable that goes between the keyboard and the computer, when you scan a bar code the code goes into the field the cursor is setting in no mater what program you are using, just as if you had punched it in on your keyboard.

I still look forward to what a good POS module will bring to fa...  on day.

Regards, Alvin