Topic: Item costs are way off

I have noticed that some of the item costs have started showing negative numbers. After searching the forums, it appears that item costs are averaged over a period of time. For some reason, many of my items have become very far off where one item that costs $2.70 is showing $391.87344647187 and another item that costs 0.57 (by the pound) is showing $-1875.1849224543.

The purchase pricing is correct in Items and Inventory and the prices were correct on the purchase orders and supplier invoices.

I am thinking this has to do with the earlier problems with purchase orders (https://frontaccounting.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=1859)  where receipted items were showing a quantity received of  0. I discovered that editing the back-ordered items on the purchase orders caused the delivered items to return back to zero even though they were in fact delivered and showed correctly in inventory. Since costs are averaged, and there was a problem with quantities, now the averaged costs are way off.

Changing the Standard Cost looks to have corrected the Inventory Valuation Report but what about the GL and COGS? Is there a way to correct these costs without having to start from scratch?

Re: Item costs are way off

We are investigating this.

/Joe

Thank you Joe.  I figured that whatever has caused this problem will continue to compound and would be a problem forever. I created a new installation with a copy of the original database, then truncated every table that contained transaction data leaving all of the product, customer, supplier and set-up information. In the stock_master table, I zeroed out the last_cost column and updated the material_cost column to reflect current costs of all products. Then in the setup tab and forms set setup I reset everything back to start at 1.

Now, while I still have an active installation to work from - I have begun re-entering every PO, receipt, payment, sale, customer payment etc. in the clean installation. Hopefully it will be completed up to current transactions in a few weeks then the original installation will be removed. Kind of a pain but I would rather fix it now than have it plague me forever.

Hi chvypwrd,

I am unable to reproduce the issue of negative cost .
Could you please provide a case if possible ?

Thanks

Chaitanya

Hello again chvypwrd,

Which release of FA are you running?
I have now made rigorious testing for this in 2.3.3 without reproducing it.
We are in a hurry for shipping release 2.3.4 due to other serious bugs, so we need more info to investigate this. Otherwise we will continue doing this during the 2.3.4 release.

/Joe