Topic: Old translated strings are shown, instead of newly translated ones

Hi all,

I merged an old Indonesian translation with empty.po from lang\new_language_template\LC_MESSAGES folder, then edit some existing translated strings.
I manually added this new po and mo files to FrontAccount via Install/Update Languages menu. When I activated Indonesian, the newly edited strings were not shown. The old translations were shown instead.

For example:
original string: "Quantities:"
- old translation:"Kuantitas:"
- new translation (my edit): "Jumlah:"

The FrontAccount still uses "Kuantitas:", instead of "Jumlah:".

Why did this happen? I have checked System Diagnostic, and everything is okay.

Thanks in advance.
Albert

Re: Old translated strings are shown, instead of newly translated ones

Hello Albert,

I think I know why this happened. When you made your merge and copied it to language folder, it was overwritten by the install/Update Language. The files were taken from the central repository during update.

Hopefully you still have your translated files. Just copy them to the language folder again, and DON'T do an update from the repository.

/Joe
Please share the translated files with us so we can update the repository smile

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the quick response smile

Actually, I didn't copy po and mo files manually to the language folder. In the installation process, I didn't install Indonesian language. So when the installation process finished, I just had en_US and new_language_template folders inside lang folder.

I installed Indonesian translation later when I have merged the existing translation with empty.po. Using Install/Update Language menu, the frontaccount code created id_ID folder inside lang folder.

After the language installation process was finished, I have checked the po and mo files inside id_ID folder, and I confirmed that they were the latest translation version (the merged one).

So, back to my original problem: why do I still get the old translation strings on my application screens?

Do you have any idea Joe?

And about sharing the translation: of course!
I plan to share it after I finish the project.

Thanks,
Albert

Joe, if you don't have any idea yet about what might cause my problem, at least please tell me what to check. Which file should do what.
Btw, is FrontAccount language system using cache? How can we refresh the cache if needed?

Albert

Try to empty the browser cache and/or logout/login again to start a fresh session.

/Joe

Hi Joe,

Thanks for keep giving responses for my problem.
I have tried to logout and login again before. And I kept getting same old translation, instead of new one.

But then I tried to use another browser, and voila! the new translation is shown now smile

So, the problem may be caused by old cache.

Thanks again Joe.

I get the same problem as stated here, despite me deleting the cache, logging in and out and using another browser.

I have a test environment on a local machine using Windows 7 & Xampp, could there be a cache there maybe...

I didn't know the update process would overwrite the files in the folder... yes I am starting over again... yes I will share when done... but I would like to test the translations too...

Cheers!

I have found out that Xampp uses a cache so I have to shutdown and restart Apache. Oh well, it works anyway. Only 2500 translations left... but I must say using POedit works well!