Topic: Problem setting up my own COA

I freshly installed FA and now try to setup my COA.

Started with standard new company American COA (4 digit). Account Classes: only renamed them,
Account Groups/Accounts: created new ones besides the existing ones

In "System and General GL Setup" and at a few other places I replaced the existing accounts with my new versions.

Now trying to get rid of all the old Accounts/Account Groups. Most of the original accounts could be removed (some only after first removing dependencies at various places in FA).

There remain 2 problems however:

1. the accounts I set up in "System and General GL Setup" for "item defaults" do not show up by default on the items page (the original accounts are still shown). Btw they DO show up by default on the item categories page.

2. I cannot delete those original accounts (4010 Sales, 1510 Inventory, 5010 Cost of Goods Sold - retail, 5040 Purchase price Variance). When I try I get the message "Cannot delete this account because it is used by one or more Item Categories". I have no items and no item categories (fresh system).

I would appreciate any help on this.

Re: Problem setting up my own COA

1. Yes, this is how the default accounts are implemented in FA. Category's accounts are used as default accounts when given category is selected for _new_ item. GL setup default accounts are used for categories. This is just two levels of default settings.

2. This message can be displayed only when some categories exists in database, and selected account is used by this category. Maybe you have some categories inactivated, so they are not visible at first glance?

Janusz

Hi Janusz,

thanks for your response.

1. I see, works indeed as you explained

2. I found out that there were indeed 4 item categories (Components, Charges, Systems, Services). They did show up in the category combo-box on the item page, but they DID NOT SHOW UP on the item category page (were not inactivated), so something appears to be wrong. Maybe related to this is that earlier I removed the tax type "Regular". Those 4 item categories depend on tax type "Regular" but nevertheless tax type "Regular" was removed, instead of giving a message that it cannot be removed because of a dependency.

My problem has been solved however by manually removing all rows from the stock_category table. After doing so I could delete all remaining original accounts.

Hendrik

Ok, thanks for explanation. Probably there is some issue in tests done before tax type deletion. I will check it and eventually fix.
Janusz