Topic: Gift Certificates

I am trying to figure out how to handle gift certificate sales.

I set up a bank account called "Gift Certificates" - customer buys a GC that money goes into the GC Bank account.

Now when the GC is used by another customer, how do I transfer the money from the GC bank account to the new customer's account?

I can make a payment from the GC bank account to the new customer, but I don't see a credit to that customer anywhere.

I would expect to see the credit in the "Customer credit notes" but it seems these are only created by returned merchandise.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Gift Certificates

If I understand you correct, I would set up the Gift Certificates as service items. Then I would setup a POS account in Setup tab where I would use the GC Bank Accounts for this. This way everything is handled correctly.

/Joe

3 (edited by ckrosco 12/06/2010 03:19:23 am)

Thanks for your reply, but I don't understand. As far as I can see, a POS is related to a user's account. Would I have to log in as another user in order to process gift certificates?

Just to clarify, my customers buy a gift certificate and then give that GC to another customer, who will use it to buy merchandise.

So the amount of the GC has to be available as a credit to the GC recipient.

Is this how it should work:

Customer Credit Note ---> GC recipient
Credit Note Items --> GC
Credit Note Total = Value of GC
Credit Note Type     ---> Items written off
Write off the cost of the items to --> GC Bank Account

?

Well, the best way to find out how to get this to work, is to use the Training Co. Eventually backup before testing.
Sometimes the solutions may be very close, other times it can be hard to find a solution.
Good luck.

/Joe