1 (edited by huotg01 06/24/2010 08:38:34 pm)

Topic: Canadian taxes setting: tax over another taxed result

Now I understand well the specific role of Tax groups (related to a group of customers) and tax types (related to items), and its works as said but there is, in appearance, a problem with the calculation in my case.

I am in the same situation as described in thread 1236. We have to take into account 2 taxes: federal (5%) and provincial(7.5%). The result of the first one, the federal tax, has to be added to the transaction amount before we apply the second tax, the provincial one.

As an example, a purchase of 1$ would be at 1.05$ after applying the fed tax.
Then I have to apply over that 1.05$ the provincial tax of 7.5%, and the end result is 1.13$

In thread 1236, you made the suggestion:

If this is the fact, then you would set it up as follow:
  In Tax type, setup a fed tax 5%, value 5
  Provincial tax 7.5%, value 7.88
  Then combine them into a group, and you are done.

First it seems not possible (or I don't know how) to define a tax with 2 digits after the point, and the, 7.88% becomes 7.9%, which is incorrect.
Second. defining the second taxes to 7.88% would make this information "printed" on the invoice for the second tax, and I'm going to receive a lot of calls from customers...

Is there a better way (because that one doesn't seem to work).

Thanks

Gaston

Note 1, after some testing: related to the suggestion, the rate would have to be 7.875% (3 digits after the point)  to give the correct answer. To use that number, it is required to edit the field 'rate' directly  in the table. That leaves the fact that the incorrect rate 7.875% is displayed on the invoice.

It should exist a more elegant way of obtaining a correct result ?

Gaston

Note 2: Ok, as stated by Joe in thread 880: "You can increase the decimals in percent in Display Setup/Preferences." Done

Still, is there a more elegant way to apply the taxes (at least not showing the 'modified' tax rate ?

Re: Canadian taxes setting: tax over another taxed result

The only thing I can come up with is to, by a global variable $suppress_tax_rates, is by not presenting the rate on the documents. In this case you will have to include the tax rate in the Tax Type Name.

If that would be satisfactory, I can include this option in 2.3 Beta.

/Joe

Thanks Joe.

That would make it.

Another way (probably more complex, may be not) would be to add an information to the table "_tax_types" meaning that that specific tax has to be added over the previous one. The system would then makes itself the computation that we do manually (7.875% in my case), and there would be no need to hide a 'false faked' rate ? What do you think ?

In the mean time, could you tell me where I should go to temporary change the code for not displaying the rate ?

Gaston

I will use the first method. You may look in the CVS unstable for how to implement it in 2.2.X. The CVS will be updated tomorrow.

The files to look into is /reporting/rep107.php, /reporting/rep110.php and /includes/ui/ui_view.inc, function display_customer_trans_tax_details. I will tell you when this is done.

/Joe

Ok, here are the instructions on how to implement this in release 2.2.X.

Somewhere about line 100 in config.php, add the following lines:

/* suppress tax rates on documents. 0 = no, 1 = yes. */
$suppress_tax_rates = 1;

Look here to see what to change in /reporting/rep107.php. It is the right pane you should use. This is for printing invoice.

Look here to see what to change in /reporting/rep110.php. It is the right pane you should use. This is for printing Delivery Note.

Look here to see what to change in /includes/ui/ui_view.inc. It is the right pane you should use. This is for presenting on screen.

/Joe

Thanks Joe

I will make the changes and come back to you.

Thanks again

Gaston

Joe

For the time being, instead of applying the whole change, I used your modif to learn how to just remove the 'tax' part of the line.

Works well.

When the version 2.3 is available (by the way, when could we expect that new version?), I will turn the global flag On.

Thanks a lot,

GAston

I think I need some information to better understand.

When I'm using Customer Transaction Inquiry, and I print the transactions, I have the taxes amount printed. That's fine.

When I use Sales Order Inquiry, and I print the orders, I don't have the taxes amount printed, just a line saying: TOTAL ORDER EX VAT

What did I missed (and sorry if it is obvious for you...) ?

GAston

No tax information is displayed on sales orders, only ex vat or included.

We were planning to release 2.3 Beta on Monday. However there might be a 2 weeks delay due to other implementation.

/Joe

Hi Gaston,

I know this post is old but I'm wondering if the solution described here still work the same with actual 2.4 release... Also I'd like to know if some enhencement has been added to FP regarding tax on tax requirement for Canada/Québec...

André