Topic: How can edit the item code?

I have 1200 items for which i have given codes. Now i need to change them..how do I do it?

regards

Re: How can edit the item code?

As for now (once used) item codes cannot be changed. You need to write some sql script to change all references to old codes to the new one.
Janusz

Thanks...i need then some one to write this code.

regards

I did this once, but my file was small then...  I made a back file of db, opened it in PSpad used Find and Replace to change the codes.  Then restored to the new file.   But this will be a lot of work for 1200 items...

If you fine a coder let me know, I need some SQL statements myself...

AM

"The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet."  - Aristotle.

Alvin,

Will let you know once i find and get the codes...by the way I also need way of reporting where i can list item movements by "movement type"

Can we do it in FA now?

regards
sheshagiri

Shouldn't be too difficult - do you have a list of old and new?  Are you intending to change the part numbers on existing invoices and other movements or is this a "going-forward" event for invoices/movements from now-on?

W

Hi,

It can be going forward...I also needed reporting of movements by "movement type" say for select period.

regards

I'm not exactly an expert, but isn't it improper in database design to put meaningful information into a record identifier?  Shouldn't the id field be an auto-increment integer, and the product code be a different field so that it can be edited without throwing off related records?  If I'm correct, the next question--is there any thought to change this at some point?

No, there is no need for pure technical id here. Item code is changed rarely (if at all), and allowing multiply records with the same item code would provide more problems than advantages. For example changing the item code in database would change the cinvoice content retrospectively.

Janusz