Topic: Autogen Item Code

It would be nice to have a system to allow for the auto-generation of new item codes based on simple criteria:

1.Specify # of digits required. (Setup->Forms Setup?)
2.Specify modifier for each item category (Items & Inventory->Item Catagories?)

This would allow for unique identifiers to be created without having to manually create one. Perhaps a flag/setting for those who desire this behavior would be a good option too.

Re: Autogen Item Code

Item codes should resemble the item itself, otherwise salesman's documents entry performance will suffer. Resemblance can't be achieved using automatically assigned numbers, so overall performance improvement is at least questionable.
Janusz

I agree with Janusz about it being better to have th eproduct code ressemble the item iteself.

That being said, I find that MANY (more than half) companies that I deal with, big and small, seem to use autogenerated codes for the products. 

This could be a useful tool for new companies.  I do nto see it of any use for companies that are established.  But then again, if they are established, and they need to add items, yes, it coudl be useful.

Joe

Thanks for your replies!

In my case, it boils down to a misunderstanding on how FA works. Our current system auto-generates what we term as "item codes" in accordance with our database structure. An item code in FA appears to be any alpha-numeric and is used as a means of identifying the item easily for people entering sales orders, purchase orders, etc. and the number (unique key) for the database is created by FA behind the scenes. Our system lets us look up items by its Unique Identifier (for those that know the system that well) in addition to other methods. That said, the method that FA uses suits us just fine.

Thanks for the feedback.