Topic: Install /Update Languages !! Spanish not working preferences !!

Hi there,

I had already setup my Mac computer as a server, It means Mysql, Apache2, Unix, Mysql, Php, and so on, I did install already the version FA 2.2.3 and I setup the language Spanish / English the translation works good and proper; But, now I tar the whole site (tar czf name.tar.gz frontaccount/ ) and export the database as well, then I Upload to the linux hosting server and Import the database doesn't work when I choice the Spanish option It seem as others on this forum says It translates the main menu to Spanish, then as soon as you click anywhere becomes back to English.

I tried already :
      Change permission to 755 to the whole site application.
      Upload the from my computer the files .po and .mo from my AR221 folder several times.
      Preferences setup the translation when it is switched 2 or 3 times but just the main menu not the details.

My conclusion but I don't clearly it all, it something weird like the $path_to_root var, or locale, which I don't understand.

I will appreciated your help about

Thanks

Ozi

Re: Install /Update Languages !! Spanish not working preferences !!

Look into System Diagnostics page and check whether you have properly configured system or not.
Janusz

I am new to Front accounting, starting to test. Running FA 2.2.6. I have problem with Spanish using language pack es_PA (spanish Panama). The output of the Setup | Diagnostic screen is as follows:

es_PA  Missing system locale: es_PA.utf-8 (note if i use ISO-8859-1, I get the same error)

I understand that this has to be fixed at the OS level. I have no idea how to fix it there. Please advice.

Note: Console output for locale -a and locale-gen is as follows:

accounting:~# locale-gen
         Generating locales (this might take a while)...
         Generation complete.

accounting:~# locale -a
         C
         POSIX

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

If this is Debian based distribution, uncomment respective line in /etc/locale.gen and run locale-gen again. Then restart your www server.
Janusz

Thanks. It worked like a charm. Diagnostic screen does not report any error. Interface messages are showing up in spanish (some - not all).
For example the "Tabbed" portion on the top of the screen is still in english, Menu items as well. Only when I go into a specific Menu Item I see all the field prompts in spanish.
Is that how it is supposed to be? or am I still missing something?
Ideally all prompts on the screen, including menu items should be in spanish.
I am testing with Language Pack es_CL (100% translated) and es_PA (95% translated).
Thanks for any/all further advice.

Please check how the strings are translated in *.po files. Some time ago there was hotkeys system added to FA. If yo will find that menu option strings are marked as fuzzy, it means they were translated before the change, and not fixed later. You can fix this easily by looking into texts, adding '&' markup when needed and then generate *.mo files with msgfmt gettext utility. Then you can send fixed files to contributions mailbox found on our contact page, to be shared with other users.

Janusz

Hm. I am looking at the es_CL.po file, and it does look properly translated (100%). I am not sure what you mean by "..marked as fuzzy..". I did see the "fuzzy" option on the menu system of poEdit, but non of the texts is marked as such. I don't think there is anything wrong with the translations.
For educational purposes, when you say ".. adding '&' markup .." do you mean like "Sales" do "&Sales" instead? Would that be to allow shortcuts to be associated to the text/field?
Note: I just noted that the "logout" prompt, does change to "salir" when I switch to Spanish, but "preferences" does not change. When I look into the es_CL.po file I don't see a prompt nor translation for "Preferences" which would be "Preferencias"!
On the other hand I do see translations for all labels on the "Tabbed" portion of the screen.
It may just be more of the same but maybe a hint for the experts.
Thanks for the update and any other hint that may follow to fix the issue.
Note: I am using FA 2.2.6

Ok. Finally I have looked into the es_CL file and I have two news as usually. The bad news is that the translation is rather old so it does not have translation for current menu system as it is after hotkeys addition. The good one is that I have merged current string set with the old file, so you can continue translation smile.

Ok. Got the merged file. Working on the translations. Will upload when ready. Now there is quite a lot to translate. As an additional comment, I am not from Chile, so my translations might not be 100% proper "Chilean Spanish". I am actually doing this translation for a project in "Guatemala".
At the end we may create a new language pack for Guatemala "es_GT". Will leave that decision up to you.
For now as I do this on my system, what is the procedure to create the .mo file. This is a first for me.
Thanks for the advice, and I'll be happy to contribute.

Yes, if you are unsure the result translation should be distributed as es_GT. Anyway  I cannot judge about this as in spanish I know only two words, so it is up to you smile.

If you use some tool for translation like poedit the compilation of *.mo file is done on file save.

Janusz

11 (edited by Pluto04 02/28/2010 06:39:59 pm)

Ok. I changed file name to es_GT and am working on the translation. It does seam to come along fine, although I think there might still be some missing prompt/label references. For example, the "Setup" tab is not to be found in the File. Same is true for others. I am not worried about it right now though. We will be able to fix that later I guess.
I have some questions about using Poedit. As follows:
1. When I open the .PO file, I see:
    a. At the top, Original String without translations in "Bold Blue"
    b. Further down (3 pages) Original String and Translations in "Bold Yellow"
    c. Further down (19 pages) Original String and Translations in "Black"
       I see translations I do moving into this section!
    What do the different colors mean?
2. What do the line numbers mean (if anything)?
3. What is a "fuzzy" translation?
4. Could using the "Show References" be helpful? How does it work?
    It gives me an error for missing file 'system_diagnostics.php' not found.
    This is ok because I dont' have this file on my local machine.
    I guess I could copy it from the server..
Thanks for the advice. I am attaching the current es_GT as-is, a work in progress. This is if I am able to figure out how to attach it here.:)

Well I was not able to figure it out.:| So this is question number 5.
5. How to attach a file while posting a message.

First I have to say the attached es_CL.zip file is complete.  Mentioned Setup string has hotkey set to letter e, so the exact form is 'S&etup'.

Different colors are for translated, non-translated, and fuzzy strings. 'Fuzzy' means that the translation was only guessed during new strings merge, so fuzzy translations in most cases needs manual corrections. Line numbers are simply references to source file where the string is used.
If you haven't system_diagnostics.php file you have incomplete, or outdated version of FA - it was added in version 2.2.2.

BTW You cannot attach it here. In fact the thread should be moved to to Translations forum, where you can attach files. You can also send the file to the contributions address found on Contact page.

Janusz

Thanks Janusz. Things are working quite right. Coming along nicely with the translations. In a couple of weeks after my users are working with the system I should have a decent Language file for "Guatemalan Spanish". I will then submit it for the project.

I agree that this thread is no very much related to translation. Please feel free to move it. Just let me know