Topic: Proper Upgrade path

I am currently running 2.1.3 and see 2.2 and 2.2.2 are out.

Do I need to do this in steps or can I jump right to the latest?

I understand it might be ok to jump right to the latest THIS time...
but maybe not through future updates...

I also have some local mods and will update using CVS...

Tom

Re: Proper Upgrade path

You should be able to update directly. Just follow the instructions in update.html.

/Joe

ok.

One speed bump...

Notice the use of ' in the comments...

DATABASE ERROR : cannot update record
error code : 1064
error message : You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1
sql that failed was : UPDATE 0_comments SET `memo_`='hello, \nplease make sure that the package is mailed asap. it's critical for me to receive it before friday. I understand that priority mail takes about two days, which should work fine for me.\nthank you.\n' WHERE

Oops. This routine is inside the file /sql/alter2.2.php that is used when running Software Upgrade.

I haven't heard about problems here, and I find no spurious things here. The memo_ field is escaped.
I guess Janusz will look at this when he is back in office again.
Do you think you can fix the error, tom?

/Joe

I will look at it, I glanced at it before posting and did not see where comments were being updated... I will dig deeper..

tom

In the update.html it says:

Enter 'Setup' tab, 'System and Generel GL Setup'.  Set the correct Accounts for Retained Earnings, Profit/Loss Year and Bank Charge.

I think the BANK CHARGE is used for the Bank Fees for sending or receiving money

Can you give a layman's description for RETAINED EARNINGS and PROFIT/LOSS YEAR?

tom
ps. very wierd I turned on sql_trail and it completed with no errors...

Hello, I will try to explain how it works.
And I will explain it in an easy way.
After the fiscal year has come to an end and a new one is created, you may want to close the previous year when the last entries have been done.
Before that your assets have accumulated into $2000. The liabilities have reached $1500. The difference between these $2000 and $1500 is your Equity (or Net assets). $500.
Your revenues have reached $3000 and you expenses have reached $2500. Net income is $500.
Now you want to close the fiscal year. The Net Assets (or Equity) $500 is booked in credit on RETAINED EARNINGS (this account is accumulating the year net assets over years).
The Net Income, $500, will always be the same as the year net assets. So the debit booking of $500 is going to the PROFIT/LOSS YEAR.

When the fiscal year is closed you can no longer make entries into it.

/Joe

8 (edited by shopimport 02/05/2010 11:20:36 am)

Hi Joe,

Thanks for this explaination, however I do have a question about how frontaccounting will perform the year closure.

I didn't do a year closure yet and need to set the Retained Earnings and Profit/Loss Year. But first I need to understand the working as I was used to another method.

My previous accounting package will do indeed the credit booking on the Retained Earnings account. And it will do a lot of other bookings on the profit / loss accounts to get all to zero.

So I don't understand the meaning to enter a Profit/Loss Year account.

I hope you can explain to me

If you only use one account for the profit/Loss year, you don't have to close all the other income/expense accounts.
This way it is possible to retrieve profit/loss over several years for a dimension, acting as a project. There are other advantages to this. You can still make PL statements on closed years. Instead of a Calculated return, you will get your result in the Profit/Loss year account.

You can read more about this in  under fiscal years.

/Joe

Your explanation makes it more clear. I now understand that it are just two different methods.

One remark that I can also see the PL statements on closed years in my previous package. Anyway, I respect your choice.

Now I will need to find the Dutch accounts for this as the default of the Dutch chart of account which I downloaded from frontaccounting.com shows for both Retained Earnings and Profit/Loss Year and entry the BANK account which will be totally wrong.

Hello again,
The Dutch COA from our Website - Download, have been created by others. It may need some fine-tuning. If you do this, please return a fine-tuned copy back to us. We will be appreciated.

/Joe

In setup -> System and General GL setup I've entered for the Dutch situation:

Retained Earnings = 3590 Winstreserve voorgaande jaren (in English it is Retained Earnings prior years and in your demo shop it's also 3590)

Profit/Loss Year = 9990 Resultaat Boekjaar (winst/verlies)  (in English it is Year Profit / Loss and in your demo shop it's also 9990)

The 3590 is already existing in the dutch chart of acconts. The 9990 needs to be created in the GL group 'General & Administrative Expenses' via General Ledger -> GL accounts.

Joe, if you can provide me instructions how to submit the Dutch chart of accounts then I will contribute mine. So far I found out it's a mysqldump of the company database, however I do already have company info which I then firts need to erase?!

Hello again,
Remember first to make a backup of your company smile

You can send the sql dump to:

contributions@frontaccounting.com

/Joe

Could you refer me to instructions how to prepare the upload? I made a copy of the database with a 0_ and 1_ company. The 1_ is the correct one. However now I need to know which tables to truncate before uploading a dump? I'd like to contribute this however it would speed up if you do have some instructions.

You can just send the sql dump as an attachment. They are not that big. Or you can zip it.
If there are more companies in the file, I will pick the one with 1_ as table prefix.
If they have a 1_, in front of the tables (table prefix), I will change them to 0_. 0_ is the standard in the COAs. This prefix will be replaced when you the create company in FA. If you want such a file with 1_ or other values you must first make a search and replade (1_ should be replaced by 0_). But as told, I can do that for you and I can adjust the COA as much as possible.

/Joe

Ok, clear how to make the dump. However before sending it I'd like to remove my transactions and don't how to perform this. I hope you do understand. Thanks.

Just remove as much of the transactions that you can see, and I will clean the rest and prepare it for a new COA. Just remember to keep the hart_master, chart_types and chart_classes and the standard accounts on the company.

/Joe