Re: POS features

I have been thinking more about the POS options. I wasn't sure where the best place would be to place these thoughts in the WIKI so I will do one more post here with my thoughts.

There are two different approaches that I think could work here fairly easily.

Idea #1:

Modify the "Direct Invoice" feature to do the following additional things:

a. Calculate Change from an "Amount Tendered" field if the payment method is "Cash"

b. Give the Option to "Print Receipt" for the customer after the sale.

c. Have a credit card # field and Expiration Date fields for typing or using a card swiper to fill in the credit card # and exp. date for processing credit cards through a payment gateway. (Authorize.net)

d. That also means that there would need to be a place to add payment processor info. just like a variety of ecommerce shopping carts have.  (Paypal, Authorize.net, etc.)

Idea #2:

Don't have a POS system in Front Accounting, but make it very quick to do a "Direct Invoice" to multiple Sales Orders in Front Accounting.
That would allow people to use other POS systems and all they would have to do is get all their sales data into the Front Accounting database as "Sales Orders"   
This could be done fairly easily through an "Import Orders" function. I think there are already import features being worked on for importing orders from websites.

**The key would be to get all your orders from your POS system into Front Accounting as Sales Orders and then be able to do a "Mass Direct Invoice" on all those sales orders to do all the debits and credits for those sales without having to spend a ton of time doing delivery and invoicing and payments on all those sales orders one at a time.**

Maybe under the "Invoice against Sales Delivery" there could be an option called "Mass Direct Invoice Sales Orders" or something like that which would take you to a screen that shows you a list of your sales orders with a check box by each sales order that you could select and then hit a button called "Process Orders" or something like that which would then do everything that a Direct Invoice would do on those orders your selected.

Anyways, I really like this idea, because it makes it so people can use specialized POS systems for their individual needs and then quickly get their sales data into Front Accounting where with a few clicks of a button all their accounting can be done on those sales orders that have already been delivered and paid for at the point of sale.
A feature like this might also be appreciated by those who are importing their sales data from their websites.

Well, hopefully my thoughts made sense.  I am up for helping on either idea, both with time and money if someone is up for getting either one of these ideas in place.   Let me know your thoughts and if you have other ideas.

bruzergear wrote:

Modify the "Direct Invoice" feature to do the following additional things:

a. Calculate Change from an "Amount Tendered" field if the payment method is "Cash"

In the wiki

bruzergear wrote:

b. Give the Option to "Print Receipt" for the customer after the sale.

I think you can do this now.

bruzergear wrote:

c. Have a credit card # field and Expiration Date fields for typing or using a card swiper to fill in the credit card # and exp. date for processing credit cards through a payment gateway. (Authorize.net)

This will not be hard, Authorize.net has everything to do it.

bruzergear wrote:

Idea #2:

Don't have a POS system in Front Accounting, but make it very quick to do a "Direct Invoice" to multiple Sales Orders in Front Accounting.
That would allow people to use other POS systems and all they would have to do is get all their sales data into the Front Accounting database as "Sales Orders"   
This could be done fairly easily through an "Import Orders" function. I think there are already import features being worked on for importing orders from websites.

**The key would be to get all your orders from your POS system into Front Accounting as Sales Orders and then be able to do a "Mass Direct Invoice" on all those sales orders to do all the debits and credits for those sales without having to spend a ton of time doing delivery and invoicing and payments on all those sales orders one at a time.**

Maybe under the "Invoice against Sales Delivery" there could be an option called "Mass Direct Invoice Sales Orders" or something like that which would take you to a screen that shows you a list of your sales orders with a check box by each sales order that you could select and then hit a button called "Process Orders" or something like that which would then do everything that a Direct Invoice would do on those orders your selected.

This will not be easy, when you make a Direct Invoice lots of tables are updated.  It would be best to have a POS module made to work with FA.  I will post more on this later...

AM

"The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet."  - Aristotle.

I am curious as to why nothing is being done to add some basic POS fuctionality to FA.

It is clear from this forum that this feature is the most desired based on how it dominates any other wish list item in views. Almost 1300 views now.

Is it lack of time, or money?
Or a lack of an organized plan of what should be developed?
What is it going to take to get this going, because it is obvious that people want to see it developed.

Any thoughts would be great. I would love to help out, I just need to know what is holding it up so I can look for ways to solve the actual problems that are keeping us from seeing this functionality in FA.

Money...Yeah, you are right, there is not a lot of munificent people on this bad world, so most time we have to spent on paid jobs. We have also some other FA functionalities under construction, in final development stage so extending POS features have to wait for its time.

But if you (or any other one skilled in php development) want to accelerate changes in this matter you are strongly welcome to join development mailing list, and continue progress. All help is always appreciated.

Janusz

Thanks for being upfront on this.
Unfortunately I don't have a lot of php skills, but a do have a little money.
How much money do you think it would take to get a POS system in place?
Maybe I and others who want this functionality can solve the money problem for you if you let us know what you think it will take.
Thanks,
Dave

My money is in...

Try this demo: https://shop.merchantos.com/register.php?demo=1&prefill_user=imademo&prefill_pwd=thisismypass

We maybe able to buy some of this code???  but if we can get some help with this, these features are a good start.

I still think that a little java code running local with some db syn, is the best way??

But we need specs, road map, etc  To those of us in the retail trade, lets get these things posted here, and the wiki updated.

It is only a mater of time before we get this done, but we must work at it...

Alvin

Yes, I think we should anyway try to move the work a little forward. I have still not too much spare time, but if we will not start recognize our needs and possibilities we will never finish the task. I will contact Dave and Alvin directly to workout some road map optimal for all us.

Janusz

Hi all,
Seeing that this is one of the most demanded feature fo FA, I am interested in engaging in it as my Senior Project for my Computer Science Major. I would like to know if there's anyone here 2 mentor me. J have a whole year (until April 2010) so there'sa bit of time. I just looked at an open source  ERP, Nolapro and they have the pos feature in-built so it can be done.

i'd like 2 know where 2 start? i am considering working with PHPPOS which i found very easy 2 set-uo an use.

any leads?

Hello Airsay

Have you looked at the fa-wiki/dev at https://frontaccounting.com/fawiki/index.php?n=Devel.WishList there is not much in POS just yet.  But we can sure get on it. 

You might also look at the demo of MerchantOS, at https://shop.merchantos.com/register.php?demo=1&prefill_user=imademo&prefill_pwd=thisismypass Most of what they do here we need...

There are a few ways to do a module, and a lot to consider.

Let us know what you think?  We will start a road map discussion.

AM

Hi Alvin,
Thanks for the reply.  There's really not a lot regarding POS despite this post having over 2000 views. I think the number of views indicates the high interest in this feature. I looked at the merchantos POS and it's right up there. Considering the two possible options of either integerating a POS module or building a stand alone module, I think an integration will be best as it will force the POS module to keep-up pace with FA as it develops, a stand alone module in my opinion may not be able to keep-up pace unless the developers are willing to put in the effort. I think it is best we follow a oath of an integrated module.  I was thinking of taking a myopic view of building the module strictly for SMEs in the Nigerian business environment (that is what my senior project is targeted at) but I think that is going to be selfish so I will try to be as open as possible.  I'm a bit of a PHP noob so I'm getting up to speed on that aspect. I've got good programming knowledge so it should not take that long. I'm trying to understand the overall design concepts and principles of FA. Is there anywhere i can find formal project documents on this? Also how do you suggest I start.

Hello Airsay,  I have not forgotten about you, please give me a few days... thanks

alvin,
take your time...but not 2 much tho :-)

I see there was a lot of debate around this topic. any progress to report, since it is very quite?

Wynand

Two years later...

Has there been any development on this? I am trying to find a solution for several small shops who would love to use FrontAccounting, but only if we can connect a credit card scanner (or find any other simple solution to charge credit cards on the spot). Has there be an implementation with authorize.net?

Thanks for any advice!

MacPhotoBiker
--
Just do your Core Business, we do the rest: Computer Maintenance  |  Data Recovery  |  Hosting  |  Accounting
www.justcorebusiness.com